Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » New paint job for my Mystic

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: New paint job for my Mystic
MysticJay96
¯
Member # 5290

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MysticJay96  Ford pictures for MysticJay96  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Some fuck face keyed the shit out of my Mystic a couple of weeks ago and it was bad enough that the entire car was repainted. So, I now have all the answers to the myths of the 96 BASF Mystic paint. Cost of paint $2K per gallon for the paint not including reducer ,hardeners, black base coat or clear coat. Total cost for complete job including removal of a few dings and passenger key lock damage from another asshole trying to break in, and patching of four screw holes in front bumper(where liscense plate used to be) a little under $8,500. To get the paint, BASF must be contacted by bodyshop with a VIN #. Enough paint is sent to do the required job and what's left is expected to go back where it came from. No mysterious reps flying into shop to deliver and supervise paint like you might have heard. I recomend no body buys one of these cars unless you have deep pockets or good insurance because this is the most expensive paint I have ever seen. Hope this post kills a few mysteries about the 96 Mystic paint

--------------------
Hummer woman... Scrapes on her knees... Get some knee pads...

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MysticJay96:
Some fuck face keyed the shit out of my Mystic a couple of weeks ago and it was bad enough that the entire car was repainted. So, I now have all the answers to the myths of the 96 BASF Mystic paint. Cost of paint $2K per gallon for the paint not including reducer ,hardeners, black base coat or clear coat. Total cost for complete job including removal of a few dings and passenger key lock damage from another asshole trying to break in, and patching of four screw holes in front bumper(where liscense plate used to be) a little under $8,500. To get the paint, BASF must be contacted by bodyshop with a VIN #. Enough paint is sent to do the required job and what's left is expected to go back where it came from. No mysterious reps flying into shop to deliver and supervise paint like you might have heard. I recomend no body buys one of these cars unless you have deep pockets or good insurance because this is the most expensive paint I have ever seen. Hope this post kills a few mysteries about the 96 Mystic paint

i didnt know mystic paint was that way also, i know saleen is VERY picky when it comes to people repainting their cars.
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
deanh8
¯
Member # 6556

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for deanh8  Ford pictures for deanh8  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by two-gun kid:
quote:
Originally posted by MysticJay96:

i didnt know mystic paint was that way also, i know saleen is VERY picky when it comes to people repainting their cars.
I heard its because the paint uses a pigment that's the same color as the dye used to make US Currency or something like that.

Anyone know if thats true?

--------------------
'99 Regal GSX
'99 Regal GS
'91 Civic Hatch
'89 Mustang Notchback
www.BayAreaRacing.org

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If it was your insurance that covered the re-paint, be greatful. Every 96 I've seen that was vandalized and required a repaint...was salvaged.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
MysticJay96
¯
Member # 5290

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MysticJay96  Ford pictures for MysticJay96  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My body guy gave the insurance company a used retail value for my car which was close to 12K. The initial work estimate was $5500. That quickly climbed to $8500. Even at that price, if they salvaged the car they would have had to pay me more than the work needed. If you guys want a good insurance company that will take care of you that offers good rates and customer service, try 21st Century.
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wow, I would have taken their $8500 check and had the car painted black and pocketed the difference, lol

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
MysticJay96
¯
Member # 5290

I guess you've never really had a chance admire how nice that paint really is. Anyway, to repaint the car a different color the right way you'd be shooting the exterior, interior, engine bay, and undercarrige. A job like that is stupid expensive. I think a new color for a car with it's credentials would be sin. hehe

--------------------

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I knew the mystic paint order process was long and involved when that car first came out, but I had no idea it's still like that. The paint shift technology has come a long way since then, there are a LOT better paints to choose from these days and it's not like it's a secret anymore. I'm surprised they're still that strict about 10 year old paint.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
MysticJay96
¯
Member # 5290

I think they are still trying to keep that exact paint exclusive to only the Mystics. That is the only thing that distinguishes them from any other 96-98 Cobra. Who knows, maybe they'll be worth something in 20 more years. Who'da thunk a Hemi Cuda' would be worth 150K thirty-five years later. Crazy people with too much money I guess.
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You didnt happen to get any touch up paint from the body shop did you? I have a few little chips that I need to repair on mine.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
ilya
¯
Member # 6164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilya  Ford pictures for ilya    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow.. sorry to hear that it was keyed.

My Mystic was keyed last night/this morning. I'm not sure if the damage is bad enough for a repaint, but I don't want to just paint the panels that were keyed and hope that it matches. Any ideas about how I should approach this with insurance?

MysticJay96
¯
Member # 5290

I tried the touch-up thing the first time it was keyed (just door). You are better off cleaning it up real good and waxing the shit out of the mark with one of the chip stick waxes. The touch-up paint sticks out like a soar thumb at the wrong angle.

--------------------

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ilya:
Wow.. sorry to hear that it was keyed.

My Mystic was keyed last night/this morning. I'm not sure if the damage is bad enough for a repaint, but I don't want to just paint the panels that were keyed and hope that it matches. Any ideas about how I should approach this with insurance?

I have read that they can repaint a pannel and it will match perfect. I met a guy a while back that had a Cobra R hood that was painted to match and it was exact so I would just let them repaint a door before totalling my car.

[ August 30, 2006, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: asskickn88 ]

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com