Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » pi head swap smog legal?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: pi head swap smog legal?
mike g
¯
Member # 2919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike g  Ford pictures for mike g    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just wondering if I swapped my heads and intake to the pi stuff...will it still pass the visual, and sniffer test?

thanks,
mike

--------------------
FOUR EYED PRIDE!!!!!!

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes, you will be all good.

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

2005GTskip
¯
Member # 4885

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2005GTskip  Ford pictures for 2005GTskip    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mike g:
Just wondering if I swapped my heads and intake to the pi stuff...will it still pass the visual, and sniffer test?

thanks,
mike

yea u will be fine..
u want to buy mine have everthing except the intake $250...only 38k mi on them..

--------------------
2005 Gt

Posts: 294 | From: Discovery bay,California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  :
mike g
¯
Member # 2919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike g  Ford pictures for mike g    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
already have a buddy of mine offer the intake and heads for $200 =)

thanks for the offer though, and the answers

mike

--------------------
FOUR EYED PRIDE!!!!!!

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 7 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
will you feel a power increase with PI heads and intake on the non-PI motors? i have 90k on my non pi motor...so will the swap be ok or will there be problems down the road?...i plan on supercharging it at the end of this year or erly next year...with around 8psi from a Kenne Bell...what do you guys think?
Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by autumnstang97:
will you feel a power increase with PI heads and intake on the non-PI motors? i have 90k on my non pi motor...so will the swap be ok or will there be problems down the road?...i plan on supercharging it at the end of this year or erly next year...with around 8psi from a Kenne Bell...what do you guys think?

The compression will go up to around 10:1 with the PI upgrade on your 97. If you run a s/c i wouldn't run anything above 8lbs, and even then that might be pushing it. But you will feel a noticable increase in power upgrading to PI heads and intake on your 97, it will feel like a new car. With higher compression, you should throw some juice at it, maybe a 100 shot [Cool]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wait a minute...what if go with a Patriot Stage II set up?..if so what cam (smog legal) and can i put a KB 2.1L blower on it with 8psi?...i was reading MM&FF saw the Patriot Performance add and rememebred about them...or what if i find a complete 99-04 PI motor complete? thnx...

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

90RanGer
¯
Member # 2906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90RanGer  Ford pictures for 90RanGer  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you wana go KB, then dont do the PI swap. You would need to get the 99+ KB kit and alot of problems will arise. Such as the fuel rail, computer chip tune, and alot of other small problems(can't think of all of them off top of head). KB also won't sell a kit for pi swappers, so stick with the npi and just have the npi heads ported or something. I went through all this. I p.i swapped with ported heads, cams and bullitt intake now ill have to go centrifugal blower.
Posts: 142 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So if i stay N.P.I, how much do usual port jobs cost? and will i need to port the intake as well?...and what would some numbers be with a KB 2.1L Blower over stock?...just curious...or what if i KB a 99-04 PI motor complete and stuff it into the 97?...just blue printing some plans so i know what direction to go...thanks everyone for ur help... [burnout] [burnout]
90RanGer
¯
Member # 2906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90RanGer  Ford pictures for 90RanGer  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't have all the answers to your questions, because very few NPI people have the KB from what I seen, at least online very few. Ive seen a few NPI 1.7KB guys with stock everything and they were at 300rwhp :/ Last time I talked to KB all they had was the 1.7 kit, so I dunno what people are making with that 2.1. You dont need to have the intake ported. At the time I talked to KB they wouldnt even sell a 99+ kit to someone with a 96-98 car, I dunno what they would say/do now. The thing with the 99+ cars is they have the different fuel system return vs returnless so the fuel rail and all the fuel stuff is different and KB doesnt seem to like to mix and match kits.

If I was to do it all over again, id just pick up a set of used NPI heads and send them to steen racing, and have them do their 96-98 port package on it, then id put in some stock PI cams into those heads and then id get the NPI KB kit.

http://www.steenracing.com/products.htm#porting

Posts: 142 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com