Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » exhaust leak

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: exhaust leak
whyteLX5.0
¯
Member # 6023

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for whyteLX5.0  Ford pictures for whyteLX5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
on 91 fox.. bbk shorty headers with bbk catted x pipe. I believe the exhaust leak is coming from were the headers bolt up to the x pipe. what type of gasket is in there? were can i get them?
Posts: 195 | From: Pittsburg/Antioch | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by whyteLX5.0:
on 91 fox.. bbk shorty headers with bbk catted x pipe. I believe the exhaust leak is coming from were the headers bolt up to the x pipe. what type of gasket is in there? were can i get them?

there is no gasket, just tighen them, or use a locking nut.
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
whyteLX5.0
¯
Member # 6023

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for whyteLX5.0  Ford pictures for whyteLX5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i knew it... i was looking at them but my pops insisted that theres some dounut type gasket thing in there. but thanks for the information.
Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I heard that the BBK's always leak, mine sure do.

My buddy at Marco Muffler says to use some high heat sensor safe (VERY important) silicone on the ball of the header and wait a few hours before startup, he said it ALWAYS works but you have to use sensor safe stuff or it could ruin your 02 sensors.

--------------------
'90 GT
'94 Toyota 4wd "It have problem"
'56 F100 5.8 AFR185's Vortech SC S-trim

Posts: 866 | From: Monterey/Rocklin | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my bbk headers dont leak [Confused]

just loosen all 4 bolts up, and slowly tighten them all down evenly so the pipes make a tight seal.

It may help to replace the studs and nuts with new ones, I got new ones from an Ace hardware store for about $4, automotive studs and grade 8 nuts.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I tried the silicon shit twice. And each time it blew out in a day or two. Now my car just sits in the garage cause its to embarassing to drive around town sounding like a fuckin VW Bug. Either I don't know what the hell I'm doing (stong possability) or silicon crap is just a band-aid OR both [Razz]
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
double post

[ August 25, 2006, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Jdub07 ]

Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I haven't tried it yet, Rich (the guy at the muffler shop) tried to get mine to stop leaking, and finnaly said it must be the headers, which it isn't because my stock headers didn't leak until I installed the h-pipe and then it started leaking. So he told me that when they can't get them to stop leaking they use that copper silicone and let it dry for a few hours.

I know how you feel jdub, its friggin' embarrassing

--------------------
'90 GT

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

I know where mine is leaking and can see where it is leaking. Its such a small leak but under wot or during deceleration the car sounds like a POS. I'm so tired of pulling the thing on and off trying to get it perfect that I'm just working on other parts of the car.

One thing I did not do is let it sit for a few hours before bolting the pipe back on. I let is sit for about an hour then bolted it up. Then I juuuust snugged the bolts and let it sit for 24 hours then tighten the bolts down till they don't tighten no more. Worked good for a couple days and,...well you know the rest. Good luck [patriot]

whyteLX5.0
¯
Member # 6023

thanks for all the opinions ill try em one i have some time
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A good method is to have another person hold the H/X-pipe up to where it would normally sit level while you tighten them up. Do a criss-cross pattern as well (I know there are only 2 though -little on one, little on the other).

If you can't get a friend to help, try using a jack to hold it up.

I don't know if loctite would work at such high tems, but you could def. give it a try.

Vibes and heat play a part. Maybe snugging them down AGAIN after they warm up would do it. Just a thought good luck.

skeletor1987
¯
Member # 6597

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeletor1987  Ford pictures for skeletor1987    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had the same problem with mine so my friend reinforced the welds on the flanges of the headers and i tightened it up really tight and after that no problems!

--------------------
1987 White LX Hatch
1993 White Mazda Miata

Curt
¯
Member # 6254

almost makes ya wish for the old 3 bolt/gasket setup...

--------------------
'90 GT

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com