Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » overheating problem

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: overheating problem
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 91 mustang with a 347. It recently started overheating so I changed the thermostat and it did not really help. I took it to the local shop and they said my radiator was partially clogged and had hot and cold spots or some shit. So I took it home and replaced my radiator with a new 3 row radiator. It helped some but If I turn my A/C on it goes up one line above the middle. It never did this before and if I have the a/c off it stays in the middle. I was wondering what it could be? Could the water pump be clogged ? I am starting to run out of ideas.
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Was the radiator flushed? That would be my first step. Next, what fan are you running? Still engine driven? If so, check your clutch on it. Last, is it physically boiling over...or just running up on the gauge?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Was the radiator flushed? That would be my first step. Next, what fan are you running? Still engine driven? If so, check your clutch on it. Last, is it physically boiling over...or just running up on the gauge?

The radiator has a lifetime warranty so I got a new one. It is the stock fan but it is also new. It is not boiling over but it gets higher that usual on the gauge. One line above the middle with the a/c on and a little above the middle with it off.
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is the fan equipped with a thermo-clutch or speed clutch? Did the problems begin when you swapped the parts or prior? What thermostat are you running? And how many times did you burp the cooling system?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Is the fan equipped with a thermo-clutch or speed clutch? Did the problems begin when you swapped the parts or prior? What thermostat are you running? And how many times did you burp the cooling system?

Whatever came stock is more than likely the fan clutch in the car. The problems began months after the swap. What is burping the cooling system? and how would you do that? I just filled it up and drove it.
redsaleen
¯
Member # 5565

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for redsaleen  Ford pictures for redsaleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This might sound like a simple fix....but...did you replace the radiator cap...??? If that stops holding the proper pressure, the car will overheat. It happened to my car.
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

If you just filled and drove it, you have air in the system. Air will heat faster than water, thus causing a overheat.
You need to fill the system, start the car with the cap off, and watch for the coolant to begin to circulate. Then top the system off.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

It still got pretty hot last night when I cut th a/c on. I think I will buy a new cap today to see if that helps

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com