Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Blown headgasket

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Blown headgasket
An86TexasStang
¯
Member # 5806

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for An86TexasStang  Ford pictures for An86TexasStang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What can all be affected from a blown headgasket and how hard is it to replace a blown headgasket?
Posts: 323 | From: Vandenberg Air Force Base,CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
loteqredneq
¯
Member # 6128

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for loteqredneq  Ford pictures for loteqredneq  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the car will overheat all the time because the water will leak into the cylinders and oil constantly. ive had it happen to my 89 and i lost all my water in about 45 minutes of driving... its just not a good idea to drive on a blown head gasket. ive replaced a couple on 5.0's and its not that hard. just make sure you check the deck and head for warpage at a machine shop, and buy new head bolts. if u have never done it before get a chiltons manual because there are a lot of steps involved [patriot]
An86TexasStang
¯
Member # 5806

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for An86TexasStang  Ford pictures for An86TexasStang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
appreciate the insight. So would you say it is a good deal to purchase a 91 with ALOT of extras for 850.00
Posts: 323 | From: Vandenberg Air Force Base,CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
skeletor1987
¯
Member # 6597

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeletor1987  Ford pictures for skeletor1987    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you can do the work yourself its definetly worth it. he is right it is a lot of steps, but if you replace the headgaskets you may as well put in a cam and ported aluminium heads at the same time! [Big Grin]

--------------------
1987 White LX Hatch
1993 White Mazda Miata

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would try and make sure its only a gasket and not something worse. I had a guy try and sell me a car with a "blown head gasket".... it turned out that he melted a piston, damaged the block and head trying to run nos. If it is just the gasket then it sounds like a good deal but you also need to find out what caused it to blow in the first place.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
phil a
¯
Member # 6951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phil a  Ford pictures for phil a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pull the rad. cap to check for chocolate milk, easy things like that, etc.

if it is only a head gasket like he claims, see if he'll mind the ~1 hour pulling the heads off before buying the car, just to check pistons/cyl walls/etc

Posts: 1261 | From: toledo oh | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com