Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Build motor myself or have it built???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Build motor myself or have it built???
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneBadHatch  Ford pictures for OneBadHatch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just curious wether i should build my own motor or if its worth a little extra just to have it made...anyone know any good shops to get a motor built and what kinda price am i looking at to make around 400hp at the wheels, reliably

thanks! [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

Posts: 834 | From: Oceanside, CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Platinum Pony:
just curious wether i should build my own motor or if its worth a little extra just to have it made...anyone know any good shops to get a motor built and what kinda price am i looking at to make around 400hp at the wheels, reliably

robs machine shop [patriot]
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneBadHatch  Ford pictures for OneBadHatch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ball park price for a built 302? long block or crate

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

Eagle347
¯
Member # 6205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eagle347  Ford pictures for Eagle347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can usally buy a motor built cheaper than you can build one yourself these days.

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 1 of 1002 deep forest green GTS's made. Bone stock.

1990 Coupe 347 NX E85 Nitrous kit

Posts: 712 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Do you have all the tools and machinery at your house that a machine shop does? If not have a shop build it!
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

what are we talking price wise though?? i would be happy to call myself haha but im kinda overseas right now and want to order it or have it started before i come home

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

1/4 HORSE
¯
Member # 5094

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1/4 HORSE  Ford pictures for 1/4 HORSE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
331/347 cid-485 hp

-Bennett Racing Sportsman 331 or 347 Shortblock
-Custom Grind Hydraulic Roller Camshaft
-Canton 7 quart Oil Pan Kit
-Stage 2 TFS TW Cylinder Heads
-Roller Rockers & Hardened Pushrods
-Holley Systemax II Intake-Ported

bennett racing $8995

--------------------
ya gotta let it do what it do!

Posts: 138 | From: fairfield,ca. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
1/4 HORSE
¯
Member # 5094

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1/4 HORSE  Ford pictures for 1/4 HORSE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You could even call Lance at CSM (california street machine). He built my engine and it put close to 400 rwhp the last time I had it dynoed. Cost me about 7 or 8 grand when it was all said and done on the engine alone. But hey, you gotta pay if you wanna play... [Smile]

CSM is a good choice [patriot]
707 429 1888

--------------------
ya gotta let it do what it do!

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
ball park price for a built 302? long block or crate

The price will depend on how you build it and who builds it for you. Are you building it to stock specs or are you upgading the internals? What kind of heads are you going to run?

Also, if you are going to have a forged 302 built you may as well upgrade to a 331 or 347 while you are at it. The price diff isn't that much.

If you want an rough ballpark CHP forged 306 short blocks run between $1500 and $2500. A stroker is about $800 more.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

hmm ok and what else will i need to upgrade when i put a new motor in as far as fuel, cooling etc.

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
hmm ok and what else will i need to upgrade when i put a new motor in as far as fuel, cooling etc.

Are you trying to make 400hp NA or w/ a power adder? If you are using a power adder then you will need to use bigger injectors than NA. Anyway, I would upgrade the following:

- fuel pump (or pumps)
- injectors
- AFPR
- MAF to match injectors
- Ingition (MSD, Crane, etc)
- Radiator (Summit makes a good aluminum one)
- High flow water pump

There are probably a few other things I am leaving out.

OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

i got an msd pro billet ignition set its goign to be NA any suggestions for injector size and fuel pump??

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If I was going to spend $8000 on a motor it'd be a Ford Racing 520ci 600hp big block. [Smile]

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

im thinking more along the lines of around 400 i dont want too much..i was thinking of just getting the 345 hp gt-40 crate from summit its 3,500 seems like a good deal to me and maybe throw in a small powerdyne or something

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

quote:
i got an msd pro billet ignition set its goign to be NA any suggestions for injector size and fuel pump??

30lb injectors and a 255lph in tank pump

quote:
im thinking more along the lines of around 400 i dont want too much..i was thinking of just getting the 345 hp gt-40 crate from summit its 3,500 seems like a good deal to me and maybe throw in a small powerdyne or something

$3500 is a pretty decent deal although you can do a lot better than those GT-40 heads. I would try and get a long block with Edelbrock, Trick Flow, or AFR heads.

If you decide to go with a blower don't get a Powerdyne. Either get a Vortech s-trim or a Novi 1000. If you are on a budget then you can pick up a good used s-trim kit for under $2000.

1/4 HORSE
¯
Member # 5094

quote:
Originally posted by MustangNate:
If I was going to spend $8000 on a motor it'd be a Ford Racing 520ci 600hp big block. [Smile]

Too much wieght. Plus too many mods to get it to fit, which means more money anyway
2005GTskip
¯
Member # 4885

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2005GTskip  Ford pictures for 2005GTskip    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Batteux racing in San leandro built my motor and he does 302's as well give him a call (510)351-7594 did a great job and can get u what u want at agreat price.. [burnout] his name is Jean..tell him Chris sent u..

[ August 09, 2006, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: 2000GTskip ]

--------------------
2005 Gt

Posts: 294 | From: Discovery bay,California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  :
nine
¯
Member # 6732

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nine  Ford pictures for nine    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1/4 HORSE:
331/347 cid-485 hp

-Bennett Racing Sportsman 331 or 347 Shortblock
-Custom Grind Hydraulic Roller Camshaft
-Canton 7 quart Oil Pan Kit
-Stage 2 TFS TW Cylinder Heads
-Roller Rockers & Hardened Pushrods
-Holley Systemax II Intake-Ported

quote:
[qb] <<stuff deleted>> Anyway, I would upgrade the following:

- fuel pump (or pumps)
- injectors
- AFPR
- MAF to match injectors
- Ingition (MSD, Crane, etc)
- Radiator (Summit makes a good aluminum one)
- High flow water pump

There are probably a few other things I am leaving out.

new oil pump
headers--preferably long tubes
tune (MAF doesn't have to "match" the injectors)

btw I assume that you're talking about 400 rwhp NA

[ August 10, 2006, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: nine ]

OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

yea not flywheel hp the only hard thing is its damn near impossible to call people dude to the stupid time difference and work schedule and what not BAH
but thanks for the info [patriot] keep it coming if you guys got anything else

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com