Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » x-pipe wo'es (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: x-pipe wo'es
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is there some fuckin secret on installing an x pipe on an 89 lx? I can't get the passenger side to seal on the top of where the header meets the x-pipe. In this heat I've removed and re-installed the pipe three times and the same dame thing. Bent? Everything bolts right up easy peasy but major exhaust leak. fuckin rattle can. Don't think this is much of a tech thread maybe more of a vent. How could it be so difficult?

wish I had a lift. 2 1/2 feet to work under sucks nutts

[ July 24, 2006, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Jdub07 ]

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
god i know how your feeling j. ive done it that many times as well. sometimes its the hangers on the pipe(the ones that go into the transmount. There to bent down or to up. try to bent it where you think it needs to be and then put it back on. is it used? i know i always needed to mess with the hangers on the pipe because there were to bent up or down. good luck j!

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes used. I'v not messed with the hangers nor looked at them really. Good suggestion considering I have nothing else to go on right now. I assumed that since everything bolted up so easy that it would just seal once tightend. I made sure to tighten each side evenly to prevent one side from pulling the other but shit...you can hear the exhaust leak just at idle. I'll give it another go after work [Mad]
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't know much on the 5.0's but is there some sort of stock gasket used?

I know on the newer manifolds they have a stud that has a shoulder that often needs to be replaced to a straight stud or else leaks galore [Mad]

Just ideas and by the way J what brand X pipe?

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by TRIXSNK:
Don't know much on the 5.0's but is there some sort of stock gasket used?

I know on the newer manifolds they have a stud that has a shoulder that often needs to be replaced to a straight stud or else leaks galore [Mad]

Just ideas and by the way J what brand X pipe?

BBK [Mad]
H-pipe I bought brand new long time ago was also BBK and didn't work. fuckers make shitty pipes [Mad]

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I always use the high heat RTV on both fittings at the headers and catback. Be sure to clean it, put a small bead around where they meet and use the copper or red colored RTV. It will fill in any gaps and seal really well.... I had an H pipe from hell and this fixed it no problem, now I wont put the pipe in without it. [patriot]

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
J24I
¯
Member # 2598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J24I  Ford pictures for J24I    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the same problem when helping "rjbeliever" with his h-pipe and when putting on my stock h-pipe for smog...most likely have to keep f*ckin around with the hangers, takes F*ckin forever tho! GOOD LUCK! [patriot]

--------------------
*'87 Coupe
'89 Coupe-SOLD

Posts: 2131 | From: Bay Area(925) | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it helps to tighten each bolt very slowly and dont tighten one of them all the way before the others.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This isn't really going to help you, more just a plug for MAC. I bought MAC LT headers, MAC o/r H, and MAC cat-back for my 86GT and everything bolted up with no problems.

Anyways, try messing with the hangers and maybe try tightening the bolts in a criss-cross fashion. The criss-cross thing is what I was always told to do and I've never had problems. Hope it works out for ya.

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This won't help you either but it's a little moral support. I had the same problem with my Bassani x-pipe, eventually I had to get rid of it and go with a BBK h-pipe, never had a problem since.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Thanks for all the suggestions and for letting me know I"m not the only one that has had this issue.

In any case I got home after work and went into the garage. 92.3 deg. in there so I rolled my eyes at the car and went back into the house. Unless I want to wrench on it naked laying on a bed of ice (sorry for the visual) then I wasn't about to attempt the pipe again. I can see myself rushing and busting an O2 or something dumb. Hopefully the heat will subside a little more.

91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91Trunkster  Ford pictures for 91Trunkster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The pipe is bent from the sounds of it (being that it is used), it should not be that difficult to swap an H/X Pipe, I've done many swaps between cats and no cats for smog and yours sounds bent, you need to find a muffler shop that would be willing to cut and reweld a piece in order to fix the bend, maybe SPEC could do it, I know many muffler shops won't touch anything without cats. Good luck!!!

[ July 25, 2006, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: 91Trunkster ]

--------------------
Yellow94GT never touched anyone's sig or banned anyone, so I'm going to quit spreading that rumor. It's not like I have any proof anyways. All yellow94gt and other mods have done is volunteer their time to help other people buy/sell parts, learn how to make their cars go faster and meet fellow enthusiasts. I'm a hater, but it's hard to hate on these facts. I have saved hunrdeds, maybe thousands of dollars here buying and selling parts over the years alone, but I don't care, this website owes me damnit, and I'll piss on it as much as I want. Us haters gonna hate. Why contribute to something when you can take for free?
I act like I'm@Age15
I make friends on the internet that are@Age18
I was picked on in my youth so I became a bully@Age24
My mouth started to run 24/7 on the internet, but my car never at the track@Age26
First pubic hair@Age30
Troll@Age31
My internet friends and I ALL just got the boot for good!@Age31
Yes, you read it right, 31 and just as childish as my fresh out of highschool internet friends@31
Oh yeah, this isn't my website, so no one has to ask for my permission to change my sig. Hell, not like I pay the CAFORDS bill, so why should they need my permission to put what they want on their site? We're all guests here. Maybe some of us should start acting like guests or leave?

(510)375-1589

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by 91Trunkster:
The pipe is bent from the sounds of it (being that it is used), it should not be that difficult to swap an H/X Pipe, I've done many swaps between cats and no cats for smog and yours sounds bent, you need to find a muffler shop that would be willing to cut and reweld a piece in order to fix the bend, maybe SPEC could do it, I know many muffler shops won't touch anything without cats. Good luck!!!

That is an option I was hoping to avoid but know it may be something I need to do. I know of only one place in Fremont, but only know them through someone that knows someone which makes it kinda hard. I'll dick with the pipe once more then go from there. [Frown]
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In this heat the metal might be soft enough you can bend it with your hands... [Wink]

--------------------

75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
use a mini torch with gloves and make that shit fit.

more heat! lol sorry.

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

Posts: 1917 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:
quote:
Originally posted by 91Trunkster:

That is an option I was hoping to avoid but know it may be something I need to do. I know of only one place in Fremont, but only know them through someone that knows someone which makes it kinda hard. I'll dick with the pipe once more then go from there. [Frown]
umm, well if no luck and you do want to take it to a shop i know a owner of 2 shops J so just let me know, but i hope you get it so you dont have to go to a shop and pay.

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWayzSix  Ford pictures for SydeWayzSix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Jeremy..sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time with that X-pipe [Frown] I'm almost certain its not bent because when the guys at Midas removed it and installed my H-pipe, they looked at it and said it was in really good condition still. I've heard stories about how hard it is to make BBK's seal, but it is possible. Good luck bro [patriot]

--------------------
1989 Notchback "SF Giants" edition...
Goodbye '00 Kawi ZX-6R...you will be missed dearly.

....on with the show! :)

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by SydeWayzSix:
Jeremy..sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time with that X-pipe [Frown] I'm almost certain its not bent because when the guys at Midas removed it and installed my H-pipe, they looked at it and said it was in really good condition still. I've heard stories about how hard it is to make BBK's seal, but it is possible. Good luck bro [patriot]

No problem... I bought knowing it was used. I hear horror stories about BBK pipes for some reason. The darn heat isn't letting up so I've not even messed with it for 3 days now. I don't think the pipe is bent but I do thinh each car is different from each other making it hard sometimes to get a seal. I'll get it to work eventually....thanks sydewayz
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
J

How's the pipe situation???

Been nice outside the past weekend did you get it bolted up yet [Razz]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
J

How's the pipe situation???

Been nice outside the past weekend did you get it bolted up yet [Razz]

[Mad] NO! I had it bolted up and sealed good for about 2 miles then started leaking again. I pulled the fuckin thing off again last night and found the passenger side where the x-pipe meets the header is ovaled. So either me or someone at another time tightened it wrong and ovaled the x-pipe. That must be why it leaks. For the short time it did not leak it sounded and felt awesome.

Now the pipe sits on the garage floor and I"m at a loss of what to do next. I don't know how to Un'oval it. lol SOB! I'm not bringing my car to the show with any exahust leak thats for sure. May have to pull up in the Audi. [Mad]

I'll give someone a new in box FMS A/C delete kit if they come over and put this POS on without it leaking before this weekend. Weather has been great as TRIX said and I'm putin around in a v6 automatic audi [Frown]

[ August 01, 2006, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Jdub07 ]

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Take it to Joe's Muffler over behind Apex, he'll fix you up.

--------------------

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by BCINGUU:
Take it to Joe's Muffler over behind Apex, he'll fix you up.

I have no idea where that is...I don't even know where Apex is.
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

FINALLY got the X-pipe hooked up with no leaks. Turns out not only was the x-pipe ovaled where it meets the header on the passenger side but the whole x-pipe itself was bent some.

Well its on now and car feels good and sounds good. Just need to get some tailpipes again.

[ August 30, 2006, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Jdub07 ]

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
FINALLY got the X-pipe hooked up with no leaks. Turns out not only was the x-pipe ovaled where it meets the header on the passenger side but the whole x-pipe itself was bent some.

Well its on now and car feels good and sounds good. Just need to get some tailpipes again.

Good to hear J.

It must have been you i saw cruising through the "Freak" the other day.

Were you by chance stuck in traffic yesterday near Decoto and Fremnt Blvd?

Didn't know since i saw no tailpipes but maybe that explains it [Razz]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
quote:

Good to hear J.

It must have been you i saw cruising through the "Freak" the other day.

Were you by chance stuck in traffic yesterday near Decoto and Fremnt Blvd?

Didn't know since i saw no tailpipes but maybe that explains it [Razz]

Yup that was me,...was going through the cuts to pick up some food at that chineese place Rose or Roses..kind by Logan High. TON of traffic cause of that crazy motherfucker wantin to run people over. They had Fremont blocked off completely right after Decoto.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com