Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » oil dip stick fell off?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: oil dip stick fell off?
skeletor1987
¯
Member # 6597

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeletor1987  Ford pictures for skeletor1987    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my oil dipstick housing fell off and when i went to put it back together it looked like i was missing a peice because the tube did not fit into the block. i was wondering if anyone else had this problem or could recomend what it do to fix it, i have a 1987 5.0. thanx.

--------------------
1987 White LX Hatch
1993 White Mazda Miata

skeletor1987
¯
Member # 6597

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeletor1987  Ford pictures for skeletor1987    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anyone?

--------------------
1987 White LX Hatch
1993 White Mazda Miata

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like the tube itself is broken. There is a portion of the tube, below the flare, that fits into the block. You will need to attempt to tap the broken part out. Use a tap or Easy-out and fill the flutes with wheel bearing grease to keep the shavings from falling into the oil pan. You will need a new (or newer) tube. This should do the trick! [patriot]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you have it bolted to the header for support? If it was not bolted it may have just worked itself out and now it may not be true/round. Compare it side by side with a good part and if it's the same length, as in if you can tell nothing is broken off in it, just re-install it and bolt it to the header/stock location.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
take a pic of it and post it, youll get more advise [patriot]

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

skeletor1987
¯
Member # 6597

thanks for the help i bought a new dipstick and compared it to my old one and about 3 inches of it where still in the block so i got an easy out and i am gonna take the rest out today.

--------------------
1987 White LX Hatch
1993 White Mazda Miata

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks like I guessed right. [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com