Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » flat-spot when accelerating??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: flat-spot when accelerating??
SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for SydeWayzSix  Ford pictures for SydeWayzSix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car has been experienceing this problem on and off. Basically, when I am in 1st or 2nd gear and I floor the gas pedal, it sometimes feels like its falls on its face...but then begins to pull hard right after. It only occurs when the RPM's are below 3K. If I am above 3K RPM and then floor the pedal, it seems fine and pulls hard. Someone told me that it could be due to a faulty MAF sensor, but I'm not sure. Any ideas??

--------------------
1989 Notchback "SF Giants" edition...
Goodbye '00 Kawi ZX-6R...you will be missed dearly.

....on with the show! :)

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
with the key on and engine off, tap into the TPS sensor wires so you can read the voltage on a volt meter and check that the voltage goes from under 1 volt at idle (throttle closed) smoothly up to ~5volts at wide open throttle.

I would clean the MAF sensor also.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWayzSix  Ford pictures for SydeWayzSix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'll try that. Also, how do I clean the MAF? Do i clean the wires/connector, or the inside of the MAF??

--------------------
1989 Notchback "SF Giants" edition...
Goodbye '00 Kawi ZX-6R...you will be missed dearly.

....on with the show! :)

kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
inside, very carefully, w/ maf cleaner, NOTHING ELSE
93Cobra50
¯
Member # 4602

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93Cobra50  Ford pictures for 93Cobra50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I believe a light spray of brake cleaner on the element should clean it. I had the same problem, but I changed the whole unit

--------------------
93 Cobra #915, Wont finish itself
95 GT Vert- For Sale
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel 4x4- Trade for 03 Cobra?
70 ElCamino PROJECT!

Posts: 269 | From: Santa Rosa CA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com