Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » WTF? New Flowmasters, way too quiet

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: WTF? New Flowmasters, way too quiet
Trellabor
¯
Member # 5496

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trellabor  Ford pictures for Trellabor  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So, i just had some original 40-series 2-chamber flowmasters put on my 85 GT in place of the old stock mufflers. I've had them for a few days, but man, they are SO quiet! I thought they would be way louder. Is there some sort of break in period on these things? I hope they get louder, or i am going to be way disappointed.

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 AOD
1999 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0L

Posts: 148 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
does your `85 have duel exhaust from the headers back?

either way, with a stock h-pipe the car will be very quiet with any mufflers, the catelytic converters (4 of them on the duel exhaust h-pipe, I dunno about the single exhaust y-pipes).

you'll need an off-road h-pipe or x-pipe if you want it to be truely loud.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you need horsepower

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I believe recently Flowmaster has been selling 2 types of 40 series 2 Ch mufflers.

I set is supposed to be a bit mellower than the other....maybe those are what you got...i had them on my old Cobra.

See the thread in the general section from "racirx" about them releasing an "old" style louder muffler still called a 40 series.

[patriot]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camaro Kid Z/28  Ford pictures for Camaro Kid Z/28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mine are pretty bassy,but i do not have tail pipes on them. but they are 2 chamber and i have the true dual on my 84 LX.

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649130
"4-eyes forever essay!"

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It takes a while for the oils to burn out of them and they will get louder

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
also eliminate the pipes from muffler back, ie: convert to dumps. Much throat-ier and deeper sound, though im runnin an o/r H soon to be o/r X. So its a bit louder.

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

Trellabor
¯
Member # 5496

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trellabor  Ford pictures for Trellabor  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its gotten a little better after about 400 miles or so. I've read it can take up to a few thousand miles for them to get to the 'loud' flowmaster sound they are known for. Part numbers indicate they are original 40's.

I'd rather not go with dumps, i like the tail pipe look and i can do without the resonance in the interior gained by removing them completely.

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 AOD

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Trellabor:
Its gotten a little better after about 400 miles or so. I've read it can take up to a few thousand miles for them to get to the 'loud' flowmaster sound they are known for. Part numbers indicate they are original 40's.

I'd rather not go with dumps, i like the tail pipe look and i can do without the resonance in the interior gained by removing them completely.

I love my dumped flows, I am going to put dumps on my Fastback also. Not sure if i am going to go with flows or what though.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

WayFastYTee
Yes I'm Whipped!
Member # 6116

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WayFastYTee  Ford pictures for WayFastYTee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
original 40's as in the black sig 1's they just came back out with?..Cause im gonna be getting those and ive heard they are Louder than the regular 2 chambers?

--------------------
89 GT, Chica Ba Wow!!!

I think Putter has a Crush on me! Im flattered :X

Posts: 1029 | From: rohnert park | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Trellabor
¯
Member # 5496

I had dumped 3 chambers on my '87 LX. The interior resonance was insane, you'd hit 2k rpm and it was just one big 'humming' sound. I thought it was cool at first, but it just made my head hurt after awhile.

I've just got the original 40's, not the re-released ones. The ones you are talking about are supposedly louder than the ones i have, but i think they just sound less 'tinny'. Original 40's sound, to me, like they have a very metallic, hollow sound to them. The newer ones do not sound like that, but they are still mean as hell. Go to the Flowmaster website, and you can hear soundbites of the different mufflers, idling, revving, and taking off. Pretty cool;)

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 AOD

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dumps are garbage and will kill Dana's car [Frown]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
Dumps are garbage and will kill Dana's car [Frown]

No way it'll be the baddest Fastback ever especially with this bad boy under the hood
http://chevystreetperformance.com/428_525HP_AAL.htm

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com