Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Gear intall..WHERE!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Gear intall..WHERE!!
5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0JerM  Ford pictures for 5.0JerM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Waddup fellas...I'm looking to getting .373's in my coupe...I want to know some shops you guys reccommend that does great work at a fair price...I don't have the gears so I'm looking for a place to purchase them and to get them installed...also on my 90 coupe I have a 02 gt rearend...that's still an 8.8 correct?? Post up

--------------------
1987 Black Notchback (I'm back!)
1989 White Notchback (4cyl-V8 conversion) R.I.P
1990 Blue Notchback (orginal 5.0) Sold
1996 Saturn SL2 R.I.P

skeletor1987
¯
Member # 6597

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeletor1987  Ford pictures for skeletor1987    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i heard john b. does good work, i am gonna get some 4.10's put in by him in a couple months.

--------------------
1987 White LX Hatch
1993 White Mazda Miata

5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0JerM  Ford pictures for 5.0JerM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone know where to get some .373's at a good price??? Ill probably just buy the gears and get someone to do it as a side job..does anyone know if the 02 gt rearend is a 8.8???

--------------------
1996 Saturn SL2 R.I.P

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I can install the gears for you as well as get the gears if you dont already have them.pm me

[ August 02, 2006, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: HaulinAssMaro ]

Posts: 22472 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

Haulinassmaro- do you think you can pm me how much it would cost for the gears plus install...also you never called me back about fitting the cold air intkae you sold me..it seems too long since I hooked up the MAF to it....get at me!!!

--------------------
1996 Saturn SL2 R.I.P

5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

Haulinassmaro- do you think you can pm me how much it would cost for the gears plus install...also you never called me back about fitting the cold air intkae you sold me..it seems too long since I hooked up the MAF to it....get at me!!!

--------------------
1996 Saturn SL2 R.I.P

Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ June 29, 2006, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Curt ]

--------------------
'90 GT
'94 Toyota 4wd "It have problem"
'56 F100 5.8 AFR185's Vortech SC S-trim

Posts: 866 | From: Monterey/Rocklin | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Summit has the cheapest FRPP that I could find,

NOTE: If you get the gears and they are shiny send them back, you want them to be powdery black, my gear install guy said that the shinies are from china or something and the quality is bad

Also you should get either a trac-lok rebuild kit or a better posi unit

--------------------
'90 GT

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the gears are shiny (a metallic appearance) they are more than likely used. I've had plenty of folks bring me "new" gears...only for me to tell them they were used. [Frown]
There is nothing wrong with used gears, as long as the wear pattern was correct and they are set up again correctly.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
If the gears are shiny (a metallic appearance) they are more than likely used. I've had plenty of folks bring me "new" gears...only for me to tell them they were used. [Frown]
There is nothing wrong with used gears, as long as the wear pattern was correct and they are set up again correctly.

hurry back, [Big Grin]

--------------------
=(

Curt
¯
Member # 6254

He said they came new from FRPP

--------------------
'90 GT

5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

quote:
Originally posted by Curt:
Summit has the cheapest FRPP that I could find,

NOTE: If you get the gears and they are shiny send them back, you want them to be powdery black, my gear install guy said that the shinies are from china or something and the quality is bad

Also you should get either a trac-lok rebuild kit or a better posi unit

how much does a trac-lok rebuild kit go for and a new posi unit?? Also what do they do??

--------------------
1996 Saturn SL2 R.I.P

Curt
¯
Member # 6254

I THINK the rebuild kit was around $80, my guy reused a disc so it would have more holding power or something, Posi keeps you from doing one wheel burnouts [Big Grin]

--------------------
'90 GT

Pittsburg Mustang Owner
¯
Member # 6100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pittsburg Mustang Owner  Ford pictures for Pittsburg Mustang Owner    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ill sell you this for 45 bucks

its for a ford 8.8 rear end

i didnt need it cuz my car was still pretty new when i took it to john b.

-

and John B does great FAST work, heard good things about Maro, but never dealt with him personally.

Posts: 1019 | From: Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
stupid question, but what is that?
i'm waiting for johnb. you can get gears for cheaper. 163 and the new rebult kit for 30 bucks from a guy on svtperformance.

quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburg Mustang Owner:

-

and John B does great FAST work, heard good things about Maro, but never dealt with him personally.

--------------------
=(

5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

quote:
Originally posted by Jmir018:
stupid question, but what is that?
i'm waiting for johnb. you can get gears for cheaper. 163 and the new rebult kit for 30 bucks from a guy on svtperformance.

quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburg Mustang Owner:

-

Where can I get gears and a rebuild kit cheap at??

[ July 04, 2006, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: 5.0JerM ]

--------------------
1996 Saturn SL2 R.I.P

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com