Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 03 cobra pulley change?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 03 cobra pulley change?
johnson50
¯
Member # 4608

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnson50  Ford pictures for johnson50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is there any other thing i have to do if i change from the stock supercharger(only) pulley to like a 2.93 or lower? thanks

--------------------
2003 10th anniv. cobra
2.3l gen2 Whipple
AED Tuned
HP/TQ: too much!

Posts: 256 | From: fairfield/suisun | Registered: Jun 2004  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On my old Cobra i added a 100mm aux idler to prevent slip but i had a 2.76 pulley.

I went with a gates 74.5 belt as well.

Oh ya a tune might be a good idea as they say a 3.10 should be the smallest w/o a tune.

Either way gotta get that A/F checked after [burnout]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by johnson50:
is there any other thing i have to do if i change from the stock supercharger(only) pulley to like a 2.93 or lower? thanks

What color is your Cobra? is it red?
03SVT
¯
Member # 5987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVT  Ford pictures for 03SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you need the pulley removal tool I will let you borrow it PM if you need help I am glad to as long as you have the tools.

--------------------
03 Cobra (wife), 06 G35 Coupe (sold), 07 TBSS (mistress), 07 F150 Harley Davidson (girlfriend) 08 BMW M5 (side chick),

johnson50
¯
Member # 4608

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnson50  Ford pictures for johnson50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a black 03. and TRIXSNK, when you say A/F, you mean air/fuel mixture right? lets say i put a 2.95 pulley on and no other idle, etc. will i mess something up or no. and will i need another size belt for a 2.95?

--------------------
2003 10th anniv. cobra
2.3l gen2 Whipple
AED Tuned

johnson50
¯
Member # 4608

and thanks 03SVT but i have the pulley puller covered.

--------------------
2003 10th anniv. cobra
2.3l gen2 Whipple
AED Tuned

91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I have a black 03. and TRIXSNK, when you say A/F, you mean air/fuel mixture right? lets say i put a 2.95 pulley on and no other idle, etc. will i mess something up or no. and will i need another size belt for a 2.95?

For best results and to possibly save your motor get a tune when you do the pulley swap. You will also need a different size belt. I think I may have seen your car at 7 flags in Fairfield. You reved at my Cobra while I was at the car wash. I have a redfire 04 if that was you. I think you need a gates 74.5 belt but I could be wrong. I will check to see what is on my car and let you know
johnson50
¯
Member # 4608

i may have been that person on north texas. but i forget. i do live around that area. anyone know the number to JeffS of santa clara.

--------------------
2003 10th anniv. cobra
2.3l gen2 Whipple
AED Tuned

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
i may have been that person on north texas. but i forget. i do live around that area. anyone know the number to JeffS of santa clara.

408-623-2373 [Big Grin]

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
johnson50
¯
Member # 4608

thanks for the # and does anyone know the stock supercharger pulley size on a 03.

--------------------
2003 10th anniv. cobra
2.3l gen2 Whipple
AED Tuned

91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

quote:
thanks for the # and does anyone know the stock supercharger pulley size on a 03.

stok is 3.65
johnson50
¯
Member # 4608

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for johnson50  Ford pictures for johnson50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks and like i read earlier, i can get a 3.10 pulley and dont have to tune it. im just tryin to put the smallest pulley on i could and do nothing else. thanks [Smile]

--------------------
2003 10th anniv. cobra
2.3l gen2 Whipple
AED Tuned

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
thanks and like i read earlier, i can get a 3.10 pulley and dont have to tune it. im just tryin to put the smallest pulley on i could and do nothing else. thanks [Smile]

Changing the pulley to ANY size without a tune is a VERY bad idea and not give anywere close to optimal performance and safety.

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff S:
quote:

Changing the pulley to ANY size without a tune is a VERY bad idea and not give anywere close to optimal performance and safety.
Sorry i should have clarified to not lead anyone in the wrong direction [Frown] .

When i said "they" i meant what others have tried not saying you should attempt the same.

Just like Jeff said with any pulley change it's imperative to get it on a dyno, tuned, and that will usually come with the A/F ratio.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com