Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Car acted up with race gas w/ethanol???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Car acted up with race gas w/ethanol???
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car was kinda sluggish at the track this weekend... Are there any issues running race gas w/ethanol...this is the gas I used:

-

This was the first time I used it. I normally use VP 107 mixed with 91 octane.

I 5 straight gallons of it in my tank...the car seemed sluggish and was sputtering on my forth nitrous run. My plugs were a bit fouled too.
The 97 degree weather at 730pm probably didn't help either.

Thanks [Frown]

[ June 25, 2006, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: twisted54 ]

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

skeletor1987
¯
Member # 6597

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeletor1987  Ford pictures for skeletor1987    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when running higher octane fuels you usually need to advance the timing higher to see any gains

--------------------
1987 White LX Hatch
1993 White Mazda Miata

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by skeletor1987:
when running higher octane fuels you usually need to advance the timing higher to see any gains

I've run gas as high a 107 which is was tuned with...I think the problem was that the race gas had ethanol in it???

--------------------

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by twisted54:
quote:

I've run gas as high a 107 which is was tuned with...I think the problem was that the race gas had ethanol in it???
doesnt all gas now have some amount of ethanol?
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

quote:
Originally posted by two-gun kid:
quote:
Originally posted by twisted54:
quote:

doesnt all gas now have some amount of ethanol?
I don't think all race gas does though...and if the car was tuned on 107 w/out ethanol, how will the car react when spraying a 150 shot and using race gas w/ethanol...because from what I understand, race gas takes more energy to burn or something like that and that your car runs a bit leaner too.

--------------------

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does the can say how much ethanol? From my understanding ethanol requires a slightly richer air/fuel ratio. There is a thread over on turbomustangs that talks about ethanol in depth, you might want to check it out. I would just buy regular old 110 octane with no ethanol and call it a day.

[ June 27, 2006, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: AJBlackGT ]

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

quote:
Originally posted by AJBlackGT:
Does the can say how much ethanol? From my understanding ethanol requires a slightly richer air/fuel ratio. There is a thread over on turbomustangs that talks about ethanol in depth, you might want to check it out. I would just buy regular old 110 octane with no ethanol and call it a day.

It doesn't say what percent is ethanol...I think I read that article during my search. I bought this crap cause my regular place was closed and I didn't realize it had ethanol in it until it was too late. I'm gonna stick to the regular stuff from now on. Hopefully it was the tune and the ethanol that caused my issues.

Thanks

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com