Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 95 GT Having problems with car cutting out while driving....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 95 GT Having problems with car cutting out while driving....
87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for 87Fox916  Ford pictures for 87Fox916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 95 GT only has 73,000 miles on it. It is almost all stock except for the exhaust. I have had exhaust leaks in the past but have since fixed them. The Ford dealership says the reason the car dies is because the exhaust leak. After fixing that it still dies. Could this massive exhaust leak have caused something to go bad. Could a bad O2 sensor cause the car to die? The car sometimes doesn't start initially too. Sometimes I'll be driving and then get off on an exit on the freeway and it will just die at idle. I have had the same problems with my 94. I am thinking it is this H pipe. I could use all the help I can get. FYI, it is not the starter, alternator or battery. I recently changed the fuel filter too. I checked the spark plugs and they look fine, but I plan on changing them anyway.

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

Posts: 1652 | From: SACRAMENTO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my old 94 started to do that... wont start when hot sometimes, cutting out, etc...
I replaced the dist, and it was cured. Turns out that the Pip sensor inside the dist was toast, and its alot easier to just replace a dist than replace the sensor.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
mike g
¯
Member # 2919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike g  Ford pictures for mike g    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bah double post

[ May 28, 2006, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: mike g ]

--------------------
FOUR EYED PRIDE!!!!!!

mike g
¯
Member # 2919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike g  Ford pictures for mike g    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
could be the TFI module...those like to go out randomly and then stop working.

The problem with random problems is they are hard to diagnos =\

have you pulled any codes from the ecu?

or a ground that is loose or a frayed ground wire.

--------------------
FOUR EYED PRIDE!!!!!!

95331StrimVert
¯
Member # 6250

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95331StrimVert  Ford pictures for 95331StrimVert  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Same thing happened on my 95. I replaced the distributor and all was well:-)

--------------------
95331StrimVert

Posts: 398 | From: Martinez ca | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
I Fear No Five O
¯
Member # 5185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for I Fear No Five O  Ford pictures for I Fear No Five O    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 94gt:
my old 94 started to do that... wont start when hot sometimes, cutting out, etc...
I replaced the dist, and it was cured. Turns out that the Pip sensor inside the dist was toast, and its alot easier to just replace a dist than replace the sensor.

+1 [patriot] Just replace the distributor. But if you can, replace the distributor sensor because it's a lot cheaper than buying a whole new distributor. Getting that sensor off is a little tricky, but definately worth the effort because it saves a ton of money. I can't remember how much a new distributor costs (maybe around $250-$300) but the sensor itself is only $80 from Ford. Oh and the local Ford dealership should be able to get that sensor off the distributor, or atleast know of a shop that can. Good luck.

- Tim

--------------------
"Haha, he's joking...It feels SO good when he jokes!" - Vince Vaughn, Wedding Crashers

5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0JerM  Ford pictures for 5.0JerM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how do you check if the pip sensor goes bad?? I'm having the same problem with mine, but usually happens when I'm down shifting to a stop. The voltage meter drops and my car dies, but it fires right up after words...do you guys think im having the same problem???

--------------------
1987 Black Notchback (I'm back!)
1989 White Notchback (4cyl-V8 conversion) R.I.P
1990 Blue Notchback (orginal 5.0) Sold
1996 Saturn SL2 R.I.P

87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87Fox916  Ford pictures for 87Fox916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks, I will try replacing the distributer, cap and rotor all at once. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the advice guys.

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

Posts: 1652 | From: SACRAMENTO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for the post, i too have started to have this issue on my 95

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

KeithStang7
¯
Member # 1945

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeithStang7  Ford pictures for KeithStang7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That solves a long time problem for me too. Thanks for the info. [patriot]

--------------------
We the unwilling
Do the impossible
For the ungrateful

Posts: 393 | From: Redding, Ca | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com