Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Ignition Problems

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Ignition Problems
Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Noticed the car was running hard, idleing rough and back firing. Pop the Hood and #6 cyl ignition wire is off and #1 is toast. Bought new 9mm FRPP wires and installed them (spark plugs on order) and it ran fine. Double checked everything connected right and started playing. After 17 miles i stopped somewhere and when i restarted it was all happening again and the car died twice and wouldnt restart. #7 AND #2 boots were off the plugs??? WTF is going on, i reconnected them and the idle is still rough but they stayed on. What is going on????

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Plug em in tighter and make sure they are away from heat...

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
TrickRacer50
¯
Member # 6345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrickRacer50  Ford pictures for TrickRacer50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You need to burp your wires. When you put them on air is inside the plug boot and when the air inside the plug boot gets hot it pops off.

To burp the plug boots put a paper clip on the inside of the bootwhile putting the boot on the spark plug. Pull the clip slightly to the side while doing this and it will release the air "burp".

Also, maybe the inside of your engine compartment is hot and melting your wires. I had a problem like this with 2 new sets of wires on my new engine. Finally, I got Moroso Race wires to solve the problem.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com