Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Guys with O/R X or H pipes - any law trouble?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Guys with O/R X or H pipes - any law trouble?
ilya
¯
Member # 6164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilya  Ford pictures for ilya    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I want a nice H-pipe for my '96 Cobra, but I don't want to pay $350 for a catted one. The O/R ones are about $150, so that's much more doable. The questions is, have any of you run into trouble for going catless? It's something like $1000 for each cat missing as far as I know. Is this too much of a risk to take?
Migs
¯
Member # 5439

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Migs  Ford pictures for Migs  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have Longtubes and an O/R X pipe 2 chambers and dumps on my 88 and have never been hassled for noise or anything.

--------------------
R.I.P SilverLX! You are missed bro.

Posts: 348 | From: Healdsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
hockeyguy713
¯
Member # 5354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hockeyguy713  Ford pictures for hockeyguy713    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have an offroad x on my 91 gt but honestly in my opinion the x pipes sound better on the 4.6 motors than the h pipes do. As long as you're not rippin by a cop you shouldnt have any problems. If you're cruisin by a cop just upshift to bring your rpms down and you're in the clear.

--------------------
91 GT

ilya
¯
Member # 6164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilya  Ford pictures for ilya    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmm.. I live in San Francisco, so I might get harassed more than you guys. Also, what do you guys do for smog checks? Catless = failure, so do you just put the stock pipes back on?

Also, as for X vs. H, I have heard that H pipes make for a nice deep sound, while X's are raspier. I like the old school muscle sound, almost like the car is breathing.

uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you don't drive the car like an idiot, then you are pretty much safe from cops... from what i've learned first hand, performance wise the X's generally give more HP and sound pretty quiet at idle. At full throttle, they scream. As far as H pipes go, not as much HP as the X but do have that classic muscle car rumble throughout all RPM ranges, so are pretty loud at all times. I personally love the sound of an offroad H over the X.. I've had both.. good luck

--------------------
AP1 S2000

Posts: 2926 | From: Bay Area 510 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just dont be smashing right by a cop, they wont do anything if your just cruising by.
H pipes for the win.

Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
don't forget some mil eliminators to turn off that check engine light when using an o/r pipe.
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ilya:
Hmm.. I live in San Francisco, so I might get harassed more than you guys. Also, what do you guys do for smog checks? Catless = failure, so do you just put the stock pipes back on?

Also, as for X vs. H, I have heard that H pipes make for a nice deep sound, while X's are raspier. I like the old school muscle sound, almost like the car is breathing.

I don't see why you would get harassed more in SF. SF cops hardly ever pull anyone over in my experience.

Just keep your stock H-pipe and swap it in when it is time for your smog.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Like everyone said don't drive like an idiot and you'll be ok [Wink]

Overall i tend to like that classic rumble an off road H and some 2 chamber flows give you.

On my 02GT i had a prochamber and flows which sounded probably the best of all my combos.

On my old 03 Cobra i had an off road X and straight through muffs and it sounded WAY TOO raspy [Frown]

I then switched to 3" flows and it sounded much better but i would have preferred a prochamber and flows again.

Just my taste [Cool]

EDIT: Never had any run-ins w/ the law.

[ May 11, 2006, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: TRIXSNK ]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

RixSikCobra
¯
Member # 5058

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RixSikCobra  Ford pictures for RixSikCobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have Bassani O/R X and 2 chamber Flows(I agree Patrick, this setup sounds sweet)...NEVER been harrassed by cops, but has others have said, be cool around the police, don't give them any reason to harrass ya. On that note [Razz] I was in the City a few weeks back and had an absolute blast gunnin' my car through all those narrow streets with tall buildings. It sounded SSOOOOOO badass [dance] . I had everyone either "ooooooin and ahhhhhin" or pluggin' their ears-lookin' at me in disgust [patriot] If I woulda gotten pulled, it woulda been my own fault.

Get your exhaust [patriot]

--------------------
2004 Terminator
Torch Red Vert
Built,Ported,Cammed,Juiced

Posts: 2120 | From: Pleasanton | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
Lemonade
¯
Member # 3692

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemonade  Ford pictures for Lemonade    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RixSikCobra:
NEVER been harrassed by cops

Rick, could this be due to your firefighter plate?!?! [Big Grin]

Lems [Big Grin]

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
personally its not worth the hassle and taking the chance of getting fined. id like to have peace of mind driving if a cop happens to pop up rather than worrying about getting pulled over with an illegal exhaust...just gives a cop more reason to pull u over.
also, swapping pipes is not something i like doing every 2 years. spend the extra money for the cat pipe and call it a day.
the biggest thing i hated about the o/r exhaust was the exhaust fumes.

edit: to answer your question, yes ive been pulled over with an o/r exhaust even when i babied the throttle at the sight of a cop. luckily, this ssf cop did not look under the car for cats.

[ May 11, 2006, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: venomous99 ]

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

ilya
¯
Member # 6164

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I think I found a great deal on a Mac catted H-pipe for long tubes that I can have an exhaust shop extend for my regular headers. This is possible and fairly easy, according to the seller.
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I have Bassani O/R X and 2 chamber Flows(I agree Patrick, this setup sounds sweet)...NEVER been harrassed by cops, but has others have said, be cool around the police, don't give them any reason to harrass ya. On that note [Razz] I was in the City a few weeks back and had an absolute blast gunnin' my car through all those narrow streets with tall buildings. It sounded SSOOOOOO badass [dance] . I had everyone either "ooooooin and ahhhhhin" or pluggin' their ears-lookin' at me in disgust [patriot] If I woulda gotten pulled, it woulda been my own fault.

Get your exhaust [patriot]

Try goin' through the Broadway tunnel next time [Big Grin]
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had an bassani catted x and SLP Loudmouth 2's on my ol mach1 and I got alot of compliments... then I took off the cats (thanks to bassani's modular design, its a snap) and got alot more attention... lol

When I sold the mach and picked up my cobra, I swapped the o/r x over and it definantly made the stock crap sound better.... I'll have a nice bassani catback waiting for me when I get back.

oh, and if you dont have a SCT/Predator, dont forget the MILS!!! [Razz]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
RixSikCobra
¯
Member # 5058

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RixSikCobra  Ford pictures for RixSikCobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Lemonade:
quote:
NEVER been harrassed by cops

Rick, could this be due to your firefighter plate?!?! [Big Grin]

Lems [Big Grin]

[Cool]

--------------------
2004 Terminator
Torch Red Vert
Built,Ported,Cammed,Juiced

Posts: 2120 | From: Pleasanton | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
95CALI-5.0
Member # 6780

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95CALI-5.0  Ford pictures for 95CALI-5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a Bassani X with cats and magnaflows. Sounds wicked.

Chances are you won't get caught with the offroad x or h, but if you do the fines are not worth it.

BlownNOSMustang
¯
Member # 158

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlownNOSMustang  Ford pictures for BlownNOSMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I picked up some HP with the O/R H-Pipe. Never had anyone look under the car.

--------------------
1993 Hatch,363 CI,670 RWHP

Posts: 238 | From: Cow Town,USA. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They don't care about Mustangs, they are told to go after the ricers cause they are the ones who cause the most problems, my buddy at Roseville PD says not to worry

--------------------
'90 GT
'94 Toyota 4wd "It have problem"
'56 F100 5.8 AFR185's Vortech SC S-trim

Posts: 866 | From: Monterey/Rocklin | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com