Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » drag radials for daily driving?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: drag radials for daily driving?
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how much time can you expect out of set with daily driving? I am not happy with the new tires I put on the rear so I am buying another set of new tires thinking about drag radials to last at least thru summer.
1100hp
¯
Member # 6454

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1100hp  Ford pictures for 1100hp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they MIGHT last through summer....It depends on how mutch you race...or should I say how long you do burnout's. Get the BFG's, I have the nitto's and they suck. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"sure officer, it's stock".

CMELEVU
¯
Member # 2563

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CMELEVU  Ford pictures for CMELEVU    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
had a set of nittos. lasted a year. that was 3 times at the track with about 3 passes each time on them. plus all the daily street action i had on them, they were completly bald by the time i got done with them. So yeah the summer time should be about the only time i would run them. oh and heres a little piece of advice do not use any type of shine stuff on them, it drys them out.
Posts: 201 | From: Marysville | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Et drag radial's. Hav'nt heard any negative feedback on em and they seem to hook pretty well from what i have seen.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

hockeyguy713
¯
Member # 5354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hockeyguy713  Ford pictures for hockeyguy713    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ive got the BFG's and they hook pretty good and they are pretty soft. I try not to use them for everyday driving but I'm sure I could prolly get away with it. What size rim are you running?

--------------------
91 GT

mf150
¯
Member # 6526

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mf150  Ford pictures for mf150  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you will get the best milage on the street and track with the Nitto 555rs. Micky Thompson DRs will not last more than about 3000 street driven miles. neither will the BFGs or Hoosiers.

--------------------
BDRA #83

Posts: 72 | From: The Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2006  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just buy a extra pair of rims that have the DR's on them and change them out when you go looking for trouble and swap them out to another set that has some reg tires.
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i am running an 18x10 wheel
ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA
¯
Member # 5068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA  Ford pictures for ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nittos 555R's all the way...
they lasted me a lil more than i year, going to the races on weekends...they hook pretty damn good and look sexy too,,haha [patriot]

--------------------
DRIVE IT TILL THE FU**IN WHEELS
FALL OFF...

Posts: 723 | From: San Jose, Cali. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had all 3 on my old Cobra.

Nitto(275/40 17") - Harder, longer lasting, not as much grip, needed a little longer burnout, bought them used and still drove them daily and lasted a good 6-7 months with track times 1.8 60's

BFG(315/30 18") - Much softer, less burnout required, seemed to work better on the street than at the track maybe due to thin sidewall. They went 1.7 60's on Sean 04's Cobra.

MT(275/40 17") - Softest of all three, required very little burnout, worked very well at the track and could hardly get them to spin on the street [Eek!] , put at least 3 trips to and from Sac and Sears and still have plenty left. I went 1.7 60's but i know i could have gone lower.

For a mainly street car w/ a few passes at the track the Nitto's would be the best for the $$$

But if you can have a spare set then you hve to go with the MT's [worship]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Daniel50
¯
Member # 5629

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel50  Ford pictures for Daniel50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

They went 1.7 60's on Sean 04's Cobra.
[/QB]

actually they did a 1.69! [Smile]

--------------------
89 2.3- Sold
91 5.0- 12.7@110 sold
94 5.0- 13.0@105 sold
97 Cobra: Sold
95 5.0- sold
95 5.0-bone stock

Posts: 1017 | From: Discovery Bay, CA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  :
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the Mickey T's and I run them all the time at 18 psi. at 30+ I can get them to rip on the street from a slow roll. At 18 psi on the street they dead hook. I have managed a 1.644 60ft [patriot] with them at the track. I have gone to the track about 5 times now with them. Very minimal street use. I smoke them up before every run and I think I have about 50% or more left. Great tire Will NEVER run anything different for the street.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel50:
quote:

They went 1.7 60's on Sean 04's Cobra.

actually they did a 1.69! [Smile] [/QB]
I stand corrected [Razz]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TRIXSNK:
I had all 3 on my old Cobra.

Nitto(275/40 17") - Harder, longer lasting, not as much grip, needed a little longer burnout, bought them used and still drove them daily and lasted a good 6-7 months with track times 1.8 60's

BFG(315/30 18") - Much softer, less burnout required, seemed to work better on the street than at the track maybe due to thin sidewall. They went 1.7 60's on Sean 04's Cobra.

MT(275/40 17") - Softest of all three, required very little burnout, worked very well at the track and could hardly get them to spin on the street [Eek!] , put at least 3 trips to and from Sac and Sears and still have plenty left. I went 1.7 60's but i know i could have gone lower.

For a mainly street car w/ a few passes at the track the Nitto's would be the best for the $$$

But if you can have a spare set then you hve to go with the MT's [worship]

Hey Patrick, what rpms did you launch at?

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

QUOTE]Hey Patrick, what rpms did you launch at? [/QB][/QUOTE]
Ryan,

I would usually leave around 3000-3500 while slipping the clutch.

With your new pulley set-up it may act totally different off the line but best bet is to......

Slip it until you know there's no hop and once you feel the hood come up slightly......get off the clutch and keep your size 14 in it unless you feel it start to hop again at the top of first.

That would ususlaly net 1.7-1.8 rather easily.

I bet with a good clutch and really sticky tires you could go 1.6's fo sho [dance]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TRIXSNK:
QUOTE]Hey Patrick, what rpms did you launch at?

Ryan,

I would usually leave around 3000-3500 while slipping the clutch.

With your new pulley set-up it may act totally different off the line but best bet is to......

Slip it until you know there's no hop and once you feel the hood come up slightly......get off the clutch and keep your size 14 in it unless you feel it start to hop again at the top of first.

That would ususlaly net 1.7-1.8 rather easily.

I bet with a good clutch and really sticky tires you could go 1.6's fo sho [dance] [/QB][/QUOTE]

I rev mine up to 4k and slip it out to net my 1.6's in a all motor sub 400 hp car. the car has some chessy LCA's and stock uppers, with stock springs cut.

--------------------

SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX':
I have the Mickey T's and I run them all the time at 18 psi. at 30+ I can get them to rip on the street from a slow roll. At 18 psi on the street they dead hook. I have managed a 1.644 60ft [patriot] with them at the track. I have gone to the track about 5 times now with them. Very minimal street use. I smoke them up before every run and I think I have about 50% or more left. Great tire Will NEVER run anything different for the street.

same here i have been using my mt's on the streets and the track, and they still have a lot of tread left, and i think these tires are the best when it comes down to hooking up.

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
M&H are the best drag radials out there and I've tried them all.

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
CeeJay
¯
Member # 6766

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CeeJay  Ford pictures for CeeJay    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Like most peole said I would go with the mt radials. They get my vote.
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cummins:
M&H are the best drag radials out there and I've tried them all.

at your fictitious track or in the real world
[Razz]

[ May 10, 2006, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Jmir018 ]

--------------------
=(

Impact 5.0
¯
Member # 2805

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Impact 5.0  Ford pictures for Impact 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run the BFG's 315 30R18 on the street and the MT DR's at the track. The BFG's are nice but you cant corner worth a shit with them.
Posts: 2173 | From: Tracy, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  :
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

quote:
Originally posted by 9Venom9:
I run the BFG's 315 30R18 on the street and the MT DR's at the track. The BFG's are nice but you cant corner worth a shit with them.

Good thing there arn't too many turn on the 1/4 mile [Wink]

--------------------

SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com