Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Pushrod Help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Pushrod Help
WeSTBaY5.0
¯
Member # 5899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WeSTBaY5.0  Ford pictures for WeSTBaY5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have purchased the Pushgrod lenghth checker for my 93gt. This is becasue i had no compression on cyl.1 and i was told it might be due to pusrob being to tall. I have gt40 heads that are ported and Crane 1.7 gold rockers and a custom cam( which i dont know details about...)My question is what should id do? should i change rockers and if so wich kind? or should i use custome Pushrods, and if thats so where could i buy these?

--------------------
Where did my 1100 posts go??
*originally Member number 4736*

1996 Cobra

1991 NOTCHBACK 43k FORD SALE

Posts: 681 | From: Redwood City | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Buy a set of stock-length, hardened pushrods.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
WeSTBaY5.0
¯
Member # 5899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WeSTBaY5.0  Ford pictures for WeSTBaY5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
will they clear?

--------------------

1996 Cobra

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Going with the stock sized pushrods will allow for correct valvetrain geometry and will reassure you that you do, in fact, have the correct length pushrods. If you haven't had the heads decked more than -4cc -- or something similar to that which would dramatically change the distance of the rockers from the lifters -- then they will clear fine.

Knowing the specs on your cam would help a lot with your decision but if you have already been running 1.7's, then you should be good to go.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have some TFS hardened stock length 6.25 off the old GT-40 irons 1.7s setup cheap.
WeSTBaY5.0
¯
Member # 5899

how much do u want 4 them and wherte are u located

--------------------

1996 Cobra

WeSTBaY5.0
¯
Member # 5899

TTT

--------------------

1996 Cobra

Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sac. Hows $40 bucks.
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you just bolt stuff down without checking, you deserve the broken parts.

You need to find out WHY you have no compression on #1. How do you know it has no compression- test it?

Pull the valve cover and do a leak-down test- (if you don't see anything obvious like broken rocker, spring or bent pushrod). If you do see something obvious- don't just replace the bad part without being sure of the reason it failed. Might just break the new part.

Leak-down w/ compressed air can tell you alot. If you have excessive leak down on one cylinder, you can listen for the compressed air and figure out where it is escaping. Test w/ both valves closed.

Out the throttle body? Bad intake valve.

Out the exhaust pipe? Bad exhaust valve.

Out the oil fill on the valve cover? Probably bad headgasket.

Out an adjacent cylinder sparkplug hole? Head gasket again.

And to install aftermarket pedastel rockers CORRECTLY--->

http://www.californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=003591#000001

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

jaybquick
¯
Member # 4286

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaybquick  Ford pictures for jaybquick  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FasterDamnit:
If you just bolt stuff down without checking, you deserve the broken parts.

You need to find out WHY you have no compression on #1. How do you know it has no compression- test it?

Pull the valve cover and do a leak-down test- (if you don't see anything obvious like broken rocker, spring or bent pushrod). If you do see something obvious- don't just replace the bad part without being sure of the reason it failed. Might just break the new part.

Leak-down w/ compressed air can tell you alot. If you have excessive leak down on one cylinder, you can listen for the compressed air and figure out where it is escaping. Test w/ both valves closed.

Out the throttle body? Bad intake valve.

Out the exhaust pipe? Bad exhaust valve.

Out the oil fill on the valve cover? Probably bad headgasket.

Out an adjacent cylinder sparkplug hole? Head gasket again.

And to install aftermarket pedastel rockers CORRECTLY--->

http://www.californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=003591#000001

+1

Why doesn't anyone seem to ever want to actually investigate? Like dead cylinder = long pushrod. It doesn't work like that.

Also bubbling out of the radiator with the cap off will indicate a head gasket with the leakdown test. Broken rings will push air out the filler hole.

And if your valves are too tight due to no play in the valve train ford makes shims for the bolt down rockers. Also find out why only that cylinder? Is one pushrod longer? Were the valve seats ground too much causing the valve tip to sit higher? Are the valve seats worn? Etc.

Once again. DO A LEAKDOWN!

[ May 13, 2006, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: jaybquick ]

--------------------
91 Mustang GT ET: 11.92@115
66 Mustang ET: 11.43@119
01 Audi S4 ET: 10.8@131
05 Audi S4 ET: 11.9@116
08 Audi S5 ET: 11.9@118

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com