Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » check engine light ?????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: check engine light ?????
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok i took my 5.0 to get smog like a month ago and it pass no problem, but the guy told me that my check engine light is not coming on so he could not give me my certification, so i took off my dash and change some of the light bolts and nothing then i got another dash and still the same problem, now i'm stuck and i dont know what else to check, can any of u guys help me out on this. thanks

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anyone

--------------------

NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you sure the check engine light isn't coming on? Try unplugging the electrical connector to your MAF and TPS then starting the car. The check engine light should come on for sure.

--------------------
Bring It . . .

menlo pony
still learnin'
Member # 4301

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for menlo pony  Ford pictures for menlo pony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Doesn't it come on when you turn the key and the engine is off? If so then you don't have to unplug anything to find out.
Posts: 776 | From: Santa Cruz y Menlo Park | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good idea, I forgot about that. I'd test the EEC for codes. The EEC could be bad and throw a corrupted memory code.

--------------------
Bring It . . .

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

i will check the eec, but just incase if is not that what else could it be.

--------------------

RedBaron
¯
Member # 4361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedBaron  Ford pictures for RedBaron    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
According to the '89 EVTM manual, fuse 18 powers the light.

The manual also seems to say that the bulbs are illuminated for a test in "start", not on the "run" key position. My 87 POS does this- no light normally, lights up when I'm starting the motor, shuts off when it's running.

The manual says the light stays lit in "run" for 60 seconds when codes are present.

Hope this helps-

--------------------
1988 4i coupe,
88 gt
85 ttop-

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com