Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » EGR isn't getting vacuum

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: EGR isn't getting vacuum
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What to check?

I had a smog pre-test done today and it wasn't pretty, EGR failed due to not receiving vacuum, and the idle numbers were horrible, 2500rpm #'s were bad but no where near as bad as idle [Confused]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ttt

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

[dance]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UNLUCKIER  Ford pictures for UNLUCKIER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You have got a bad vacum line some where? That is where I would start.

[ May 04, 2006, 04:21 AM: Message edited by: UNLUCKIER ]

--------------------
The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
AND YES THE RAMS FAN

Posts: 1023 | From: ODENTON MD | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can you post all your results? The EGR is only turned on durring steady cruise above somethng like 1500 RPM. If you're failing at idle, EGR is not your problem. Unplug the EGR line and do the engine running EEC test while feeling for vacuum on the EGR line. The engine on EEC test will open the EGR and you'll know if its receiving vacuum or not.

--------------------
Bring It . . .

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

idle test - 804rpm

%C02 6.8
%O2 8.9
HC (PPM) 1388
CO% 4.23

2500rpm test - 2624rpm

%CO2 10.5
%O2 4.5
HC (PPM) 66
CO% 2.25

HC and CO% fail on idle
CO% fail on 2500rpm
EGR fail on functional test

when the tech hooked up the egr to vacuum it stalled the car, but when he plugged his guage into the vacuum line going to it and rev'd the engine no vacuum was seen.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What are the max limits for your smog numbers?

The car should stall if you open the EGR durring idle or below a steady RPM that is above 1500 RPM. Hook up a vacuum guage to the EGR line and run the engine running EEC test. Towards the end of the test the EGR valve will pulse open for two or three seconds if everything is working right.

What codes did the EEC fail on?

[ May 04, 2006, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: NO MANRZ ]

--------------------
Bring It . . .

S351-R
CAFords OG
Member # 1605

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S351-R  Ford pictures for S351-R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The high carbon monoxide (CO) readings indicate a rich running condition resulting in high hydro-carbon (HC) readings as well. Vacuum to the EGR is controlled by both an EGR control solenoid and a EGR vacuum regulator solenoid (both are controlled by the EEC). Start with the basics and check the vacuum hoses (both the EGR control and vacuum regulator solenoids are located on the passenger side fender near the shock tower),
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

I have an adjustable FPR, it's been popping through the exhaust, but every sensor is less than a year old, and the cats are brand new (NOS H-pipe).

I have the fuel pressure set to 39psi with the vacuum disconnected from the FPR and capped, that should be less than stock?

mods are:
255lph fuel pump
kirban FPR
edelbrock performer intake
edelbrock 65mm throttle body and EGR spacer
BBK equal length headers (have carb #)

the car isn't throwing any codes, I hooked it up today, did engine off and engine running to be sure.

I think I fucked up the vacuum routing when I repaired a blown head gasket back in Jan. so tomorrow I'm going to take the upper intake off and go over everything. I am also going to swap the EEC harness.

Currently it has a SD harness and ECU. After I get this smog overwith my S-trim will be going on and I need the MAF for that anyways so I might as well convert it over now. The car is an `89 and I have purchased an `89 MAF engine harness so I should be good to go.

Does the TAB or the TAD solenoid activate the vacuum to the EGR is my main question? They are both basically hooked in to manifold vacuum from the tree.

I don't have any vacuum leaks, it has 19#'s of vacuum at idle (stock cam).

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

quote:
Originally posted by blind:

Does the TAB or the TAD solenoid activate the vacuum to the EGR is my main question? They are both basically hooked in to manifold vacuum from the tree.

No, the TAB and TAD solenoids are below the bigger EGR solenoid on the passenger strut tower. If you do the engine running EGR test I mentioned above, you'll quickly know if the EGR is turning on when its suppose to. Popping through the exhaust means rich and 39 psi is with in stock specs. I think stock specs are 38-42 psi, but it doesn't matter that much since the EEC will correct it in closed loop mode such as cruising or idling. A colorful vacuum diagram was posted here a while ago. I can dig it up if you need it.
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by NO MANRZ:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by blind:
[qb] A colorful vacuum diagram was posted here a while ago. I can dig it up if you need it.

thanks, but I have that saved here on my computer [Smile]

ok, so the TAB/TAD are the ones on the bottom, and the EGR one is above them, got it.

Can I run the engine running test with my cheap ass scanner that plugs into the test port in the engine bay and has a blinky light [Big Grin] all I've ever done with that is checked to see if it blinked a code or not, never has on my car, but it has on my `91.

Do the `87 SD ECU's even throw codes? I dont recall the check engine light ever coming on.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

So run the engine on test then unplug your EGR vacuum line. Wet your finger and place it over the vacuum line or us a vacuum guage if you're not ghetto. Durring the end of the engine on test you should feel vacuum pulsing for 2 seconds. All EECs throw codes. On MAF cars if you unplug the MAF, the check engine light will come on. On a SD car, try unpluging the MAP sensor and TPS sensor. Unplugging the O2's will take up to 10 miles before the check engine light turns on.
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

think I found what was causing the problem.

a couple of the vacuum lines by the passenger strut tower got melted by my headers, they are sealed shut.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com