Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Combination Valved Plug ?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Combination Valved Plug ?
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Iam finishing up my 5 lug in my 5.0, with a cobra front set up in the front and drums in the back so i was wondering if i need to plug the combination valve. So would it be alright to leave it alone or should i plug it?
Thanks

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you read this write up http://www.mustangmotorsport.com/sn95conversion.html ?
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You only need to gut and plug the factory proportioning valve if you run an inline adjustable one for rear disc. You dont need to mess with it until you convert to rear disc, but you might need a booster to make up for the hard pedal.

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OK thanks, but i already pluged it and iam running an adjustable proportioning valve because i planned to go rear wheel disc but i decided to hold of on it until i had more cash so i just bought a drum set up. Could that be messing with my brakes?

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bet, sending too much pressure to the rear brakes can't be good. Let me know if you want to sell the adjustable, I am going rear disc and only need a few more things.

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

So should i put the spring and rod back in along with taking out the adj. proportioning valve? Iam also running a 95 gt mc

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well what is your time frame for going to rear disk's?

I would personally leave it on there and turn the pressure to the rear all the way down, and then adjust up from there until the braking feels right to me.

It wont be perfect though, because AFAIK the drums need residual pressure constantly, but that's over my head and I dont really care to learn because I hate drum brakes and I hate working on them mostly [Big Grin]

[ May 05, 2006, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Iam thinking within two months, but the car only gets driven maybe three times a month. So your saying i should turn the knob out all the way?

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm pretty sure out all the way is full pressure, while in all the way is minimum pressure.

I would set it to the lowest pressure you can and then adjust up from there until the rear brakes feel right to you.

or you could put the spring and stuff back into the stock prop valve and then turn your adjustable one all the way out to full pressure until you go rear disk, then you could gut and plug the stock prop valve and adjust the adjustable one down to the right setting for your car (mine is about 3.5 turns in from being fully out).

[ May 06, 2006, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Alright i just decided to buy the rear wheel disc set up on monday, thanks for the help. [patriot]

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

quote:
Originally posted by PWR HNGRY 302:
Alright i just decided to buy the rear wheel disc set up on monday, thanks for the help. [patriot]

good decision!

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Thanks, but the only thing iam worried about is bending the brake line so it fits the new soft line. How could i bend it without a putting a kink in the line?

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

I cut mine back, and used the SN95 fitting and reflared the lines. looks like factory.

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

How hard is it to cut the lines? Did you have to use a special tool?

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Just use a tubing cutter. They are cheap and work really good, you will also need a flare tool. Either that or just bend the lines all around and get an adapter

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Any of you guys have a good experience with the north racecars bracket? I want to still be able to run fox lenghth axles so iam thinking about getting it.

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com