Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Different metals and JB WELD question..

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Different metals and JB WELD question..
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I need to make a baffle in my valve cover to prevent oil from coming out of the vent on the filler tube. I cut the stock baffle off and am wondering if JB WELD will work if i use it along with a piece of sheetmetal to baffle the oil and prevent it from coming out of my vent.

Or will it fall off for any given reason - heat, not a good bond? - and get fucked up inside my valve cover.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
can't you just tack the homemade baffle with a quick shot of the welder? i'd be a lot more comfortable if it were me.

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't think you can weld cast. someone correct me if im wrong

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

1100hp
¯
Member # 6454

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1100hp  Ford pictures for 1100hp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
YES you can weld cast, you need to use a specific rod for your aplication. Just call up HEATH welding supply and tell them what your doing and they will hook you up. [patriot]

--------------------
"sure officer, it's stock".

ChrisS
¯
Member # 6699

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisS  Ford pictures for ChrisS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 166 Merlot:
I don't think you can weld cast. someone correct me if im wrong

i dont think you can mig, but you can arc im pretty sure
Posts: 632 | From: Dallas Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
BlownNOSMustang
¯
Member # 158

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlownNOSMustang  Ford pictures for BlownNOSMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Never use the JB weld on an internal part, You will have problems.

--------------------
1993 Hatch,363 CI,670 RWHP

Posts: 238 | From: Cow Town,USA. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
ChrisS
¯
Member # 6699

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisS  Ford pictures for ChrisS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlownNOSMustang:
Never use the JB weld on an internal part, You will have problems.

i actually know a guy that bagged his truck, and didnt weld ANYTHING, but rather used JB weld on it because he thought it chemically fused the metals together. he fired the truck up when he was done, let the compressors fill the tanks, went to hop it, and the frame broke into 3 pieces LMAO!!!!!
Posts: 632 | From: Dallas Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

that's good to know, but I'm not about to hop my shit, just tryin to launch. I only have a mig though... could I contaminate different metals or maybe find a peice of cast? Just putting the finishing touches on my shit to get it proper and hopefully cut a high 10 in the 1/4.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com