Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Street Tires at Track

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Street Tires at Track
Letsrunem
¯
Member # 6305

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Letsrunem  Ford pictures for Letsrunem    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a bet with my buddy I can get a 13.99 with only 275/40/17 street tires, flowmasters, K@N, with less then 50 pounds weight reduction in a 1996 Cobra. My 275's are bald as shit what tire would be best for me at the track. Long story but I have never raced at a track b4 and my buddy told me I will do hella shitty my first time at the track "NO MATTER HW GOOD I DRIVE ON THE STREETS", me being the egotistical person and I think I know everything told him whatever dude $50 bucks with new 275's and the way my cars sits my first night at SAC I will run 13.99 or better in the 96 Cobra. What do you all think. Is the track really that different then the streets? HArder easier? I'd like to think Im a god driver since seem to always jump out first.
91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91Trunkster  Ford pictures for 91Trunkster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It won't be easy, if I were a betting man I would bet you wouldn't get it, but I wish you the best of luck.

--------------------
Yellow94GT never touched anyone's sig or banned anyone, so I'm going to quit spreading that rumor. It's not like I have any proof anyways. All yellow94gt and other mods have done is volunteer their time to help other people buy/sell parts, learn how to make their cars go faster and meet fellow enthusiasts. I'm a hater, but it's hard to hate on these facts. I have saved hunrdeds, maybe thousands of dollars here buying and selling parts over the years alone, but I don't care, this website owes me damnit, and I'll piss on it as much as I want. Us haters gonna hate. Why contribute to something when you can take for free?
I act like I'm@Age15
I make friends on the internet that are@Age18
I was picked on in my youth so I became a bully@Age24
My mouth started to run 24/7 on the internet, but my car never at the track@Age26
First pubic hair@Age30
Troll@Age31
My internet friends and I ALL just got the boot for good!@Age31
Yes, you read it right, 31 and just as childish as my fresh out of highschool internet friends@31
Oh yeah, this isn't my website, so no one has to ask for my permission to change my sig. Hell, not like I pay the CAFORDS bill, so why should they need my permission to put what they want on their site? We're all guests here. Maybe some of us should start acting like guests or leave?

(510)375-1589

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea the track is not as easy as u think, i was always really good racing on the streets back in the day and i though i will do much better at the track since is prep, but i'm doing horrible at the track now but i think i know what i'm doing wrong now and i hope i will get good times this wed, and as far as your tires any street tires will do fine just make u drop the tire pressure and take it easy on first gear then after that just shift like u stole the shit [Big Grin]

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Street tires at the track are shit! You are constantly fighting the wheel spin. Don't just let the clutch out and gun it. You have to get your RPM's up a little and slip the clutch smoothly out and try not to shock the tires. Also take it easy going into 2nd.

Odds are though you are gona run like a 15.XXX your first run and better from there. Good luck, make sure you have your 50 bucks ready though [Wink]

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

89 FAKE SNAKE
¯
Member # 4531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89 FAKE SNAKE  Ford pictures for 89 FAKE SNAKE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey mts and bfgs are street tires.. [Razz]

--------------------
90 COUPE
01 R1 (stock)
04 XR-50(stroked)
06 TT-R50E
SRA & PWA member

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah i wouldnt make that bet yet. i have a 96 cobra and when i ran it i didnt get close to 13.99. more like 14.3. im not hella experienced or nothin but u gota remember the times they post from the factory are with a pro driver. And you gota remember that everything feels faster on the street. and you gota take in to account you being nervous, catching the tree, not getting happy feet and mishifting etc. plus street tires dont do well at the track. usually theres hella left over rubber and your wheels just slip off the line if you dont feather it right. hope you didnt bet to much

[ April 26, 2006, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: 50 Deep ]

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ran well into the 9's with the same size street tire. No biggie. Go out and show him you da man!

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
Eagle347
¯
Member # 6205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eagle347  Ford pictures for Eagle347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I hope you can get alot of runs in. Heat those tires up good!

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 1 of 1002 deep forest green GTS's made. Bone stock.

1990 Coupe 347 NX E85 Nitrous kit

Posts: 712 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sure you did. [Roll Eyes]

Hope you've got the $50 ready. I doubt you'll break mid 14's.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got a 13.7 on my former 01 cobra back in the day.. first time at a track ever.. i was never able to replicate it.. [Frown]
just had exhaust and maybe gears.(don't remember if i had them on already).. i was on street tires.. the silencer was still in place [Big Grin]

good luck. keep us posted.

[ April 29, 2006, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: Jmir018 ]

--------------------
=(

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
racing at the track on street radials is like masturbating with your hands tied behind your back, it just won't go well.

With that said, you have a 96 Cobra, not a 89 GT vert aod... It would go 13.99 with me driving.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
my buddy told me I will do hella shitty my first time at the track "NO MATTER HW GOOD I DRIVE ON THE STREETS",

Listen to your buddy. Everyone has an eye opening experience their first time to the track.

Case in point, want to know what I ran in my 87GT the first time out back in 1997?

15.5 @ 95 w/ 2.4 60ft... EYE OPENING.
Eventually got that down to 13.89 @ 102 with a bone stock motor on goodyear radials.

Also keep in mind, 13.99 with a 96 dohc cobra is not a huge challenge either.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
90GT
¯
Member # 3

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 90GT  Ford pictures for 90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Street tires work just fine. Go for it.
Letsrunem
¯
Member # 6305

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Letsrunem  Ford pictures for Letsrunem    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well it took me long enough to get to the damn track. I got there hella late and only got to run twice. I was on bald ass street tires that took so much energy not to spine. My boy video taped. We ended up agreeing that since i got there late and didn't have new tires that the bet would be postponed until next weds at Infineon. But nonetheless I was some what happy happy with the results with bad tires. My first run I ran a 14.347 @ 100.82mph. And my second run was 14.20 @ 101.90. Let me restate that I am bone stock, not LS1 owner stock which is whisper lid, exhaust, headers, y pipe etc. Im talking K@n filter with weld in flowmaster mufflers without anything else. But this damn track thing is cool and I beleive I've contracted track fever because all i been thinking bout is getting back to the track. Hopefully buy this wednsday I will have some nitto dr's. Wish I could have got there and got 5 runs in but thats how it goes.
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
any dot approved tire is a street tire

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Letsrunem
¯
Member # 6305

Thats what i figure. I heard some great things about the M/T dr's.
MysticJay96
¯
Member # 5290

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MysticJay96  Ford pictures for MysticJay96  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Very well said. My first time at the track with my Mystic, the best I could run was 14.3 with a lot of wheel spin and 2.3 sec 60ft's. If you can learn how to launch with drama from the tires you will run that magical 13.99. Maybe even faster.

--------------------
Hummer woman... Scrapes on her knees... Get some knee pads...

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To me street tires at the track is a huge waste of time, gas, and money [Roll Eyes] unless you're into that.

I do understand if you have a bet going but the only time i'd even consider is if i were trying it with a lower HP car [Razz]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Letsrunem
¯
Member # 6305

Went to the Infineon last night. Basically was my first time racing on the track because the first time I only got to run twice. I have 108k miles on her, with a K@N filter, weld in flowmaster stock piping. Also have sportline without isolators. So basically stock. Oh, and on bald street tires 275/40/17 Kuhmo's. Not a drag suspension by anymeans. I took my spare tire, jack, and rear seat out and ran this:
R/T... .363
60'... 2.318
330'... 6.084
1/8... 9.139
MPH... 81.16
1000'... 11.776
1/4... 13.990
MPH... 102.81

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Letsrunem:
Went to the Infineon last night. Basically was my first time racing on the track because the first time I only got to run twice. I have 108k miles on her, with a K@N filter, weld in flowmaster stock piping. Also have sportline without isolators. So basically stock. Oh, and on bald street tires 275/40/17 Kuhmo's. Not a drag suspension by anymeans. I took my spare tire, jack, and rear seat out and ran this:
R/T... .363
60'... 2.318
330'... 6.084
1/8... 9.139
MPH... 81.16
1000'... 11.776
1/4... 13.990
MPH... 102.81

Lots of room to improve that's for sure especially with that 60 [Eek!] [burnout]

I'm sure it was still fun to be out at the track though [dance]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Letsrunem
¯
Member # 6305

Ya i think the 60' is slower because the bald street tires and the weight reduction. Well see what happens when i get some fresh dr's.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com