Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Fuel Gauge Question??????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Fuel Gauge Question??????
subsGT
¯
Member # 6015

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for subsGT  Ford pictures for subsGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
91 LX 5.0...what would cause the fuel gauge to read just below a half tank when it's full...bad float? Sending unit???
NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The float can only be bad if it breaks off. If you drop the gas tank, remove the sending unit but leave it plugged in, you can move the float arm by hand and have someone inside the car verify the guage needle works as it should. Make sure the tank is near empty.

[ April 19, 2006, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: NO MANRZ ]

--------------------
Bring It . . .

hockeyguy713
¯
Member # 5354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hockeyguy713  Ford pictures for hockeyguy713    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NO MANRZ:
If you drop the gas tank. Make sure the tank is near empty.

[Smile]

--------------------
91 GT

subsGT
¯
Member # 6015

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for subsGT  Ford pictures for subsGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
The float can only be bad if it breaks off. If you drop the gas tank, remove the sending unit but leave it plugged in, you can move the float arm by hand and have someone inside the car verify the guage needle works as it should. Make sure the tank is near empty.

okay...so if the float still works but the gauge is wrong, it's a bad float?? [Confused]
subsGT
¯
Member # 6015

quote:
Originally posted by subsGT:
quote:

okay...so if the float still works but the gauge is wrong, it's a bad float?? [Confused]
[Confused]
skeletor1987
¯
Member # 6597

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeletor1987  Ford pictures for skeletor1987    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my guage is stuck at all the way full and someone said that it could be the actual unit on the dash.

--------------------
1987 White LX Hatch
1993 White Mazda Miata

subsGT
¯
Member # 6015

quote:
Originally posted by skeletor1987:
my guage is stuck at all the way full and someone said that it could be the actual unit on the dash.

ahh, well mine's not stuck...it moves but only to halfway when full...????
1bdpone
¯
Member # 6708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1bdpone  Ford pictures for 1bdpone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 93 had a similar problem. I changed the sender, but still had a problem. I then installed a Autometer fuel guage and it works great.
Posts: 182 | From: Tri Valley | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
subsGT
¯
Member # 6015

quote:
Originally posted by 1bdpone:
My 93 had a similar problem. I changed the sender, but still had a problem. I then installed a Autometer fuel guage and it works great.

[patriot]
subsGT
¯
Member # 6015

quote:
Originally posted by subsGT:
91 LX 5.0...what would cause the fuel gauge to read just below a half tank when it's full...bad float? Sending unit???

[Confused]
hooridecc707
¯
Member # 6626

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hooridecc707  Ford pictures for hooridecc707  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
take the cover off your gauges when on a full tank and move the fuel needle to Full and put the cover back on....simple.

--------------------
HOORIDE

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com