Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » stripped an aluminum head RR thread

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: stripped an aluminum head RR thread
92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
on the very last RR that had to be tightened down the bolt just wasn't getting tight. so when i backed it out, the threads from the head came out with it. so i'm guessing my only option is tapping the whole. how tough is it going to be?

Justin

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Valve cover? Intake? Exhasut? What hole did you strip, and of them can be repaired fairly easily. Buy a heli-coil kit, drill the hole over size, tap it, and install a helicoil. Problem solved. [patriot]

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AJBlackGT:
Valve cover? Intake? Exhasut? What hole did you strip, and of them can be repaired fairly easily. Buy a heli-coil kit, drill the hole over size, tap it, and install a helicoil. Problem solved. [patriot]

like the post said the RR hole. RR = roller rocker. the hole that the RR stud screws into stripped out. i asked a guy about the helicoil but he said it might not work since it has so much stress on it.

Justin

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh I misread it. I thought by RR, you meant repair a stripped hole, I didn't know you were talking about a rocker stud hole. You may be right about that being to much stress in a helicoil. Maybe you could call the head manufacturer and see what they recommend.

--------------------
90 Notch

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im guessing the helicoil pulled out from an edelbrock head??

this is with pedestal rockers??

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
im guessing the helicoil pulled out from an edelbrock head??

this is with pedestal rockers??

No, the head is a FMS GT-40X head. and i honestly don't know the difference between pedestal mount and stud mounted so i couldn't tell you. they are 1.6 FMS RR's though.

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

quote:
Oh I misread it. I thought by RR, you meant repair a stripped hole, I didn't know you were talking about a rocker stud hole. You may be right about that being to much stress in a helicoil. Maybe you could call the head manufacturer and see what they recommend.

i was thinkin of just tapping new threads and going with a larger bolt. think that would work?

Justin

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Do you have screw in studs? Or pedastal mount with a screw through the rocker? It may be hard to find the right oversized hardware

--------------------
90 Notch

92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

quote:
Do you have screw in studs? Or pedastal mount with a screw through the rocker? It may be hard to find the right oversized hardware

i guess they would be pedestal mount then since the screw runs throw the RR and into the head.

the bolt i would need would be fairly easy to figure out since the die/tap set tells you the thread size and all that. the only worry i have is how large i have to go since the head of the bolt cant be very much bigger.

Justin

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

I think if you put in a long enough helicoil you would probably be fine.

--------------------
90 Notch

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you should be fine with a helicoil, you dont have much choice

other than taking the heads off and drilling out ALL of the holes and converting to 3/8 stud rockers instead of pedestal rockers

your current rockers use a 5/16 bolt, i think fine thread

studs rockers will use a 3/8 and 7/16 coarse thread studs

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

66 AC COBRA i sent you a PM.

Justin

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com