Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » determining if heads are GT40P or GT40 X.Y

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: determining if heads are GT40P or GT40 X.Y
SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for SydeWayzSix  Ford pictures for SydeWayzSix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am going to pick up a set of GT40 heads, but need to make sure that they are the ones that DO NOT require special headers. The P-heads are the ones that need the specific headers, right? Also, by looking at the heads or the stamp, how would I be able to determine which model they are??

thanks [patriot]

--------------------
1989 Notchback "SF Giants" edition...
Goodbye '00 Kawi ZX-6R...you will be missed dearly.

....on with the show! :)

91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWayzSix:
I am going to pick up a set of GT40 heads, but need to make sure that they are the ones that DO NOT require special headers. The P-heads are the ones that need the specific headers, right? Also, by looking at the heads or the stamp, how would I be able to determine which model they are??

thanks [patriot]

Quit being so damn cheap and just by my edelbrocks! [Big Grin]
93cobracoupestang
¯
Member # 5765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93cobracoupestang  Ford pictures for 93cobracoupestang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they say gt40p and have 3 lines on the back? i think.

--------------------
1993 Lx Coupe.....a couple bolt ons.

2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600

SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWayzSix  Ford pictures for SydeWayzSix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91 5.0 5speed:
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWayzSix:

thanks [patriot]

Quit being so damn cheap and just by my edelbrocks! [Big Grin]
man....I would, but thats over $500 more out of my broke ass pockets [Frown]

For this stock bottom end, I just need something a little better than stock. Once I have money to build a "real motor," I'll be in the market for some aluminum ones [patriot] If you let them go for $300 I'll pick them up tomorrow [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by 93cobracoupestang:
they say gt40p and have 3 lines on the back? i think.

3 lines on the back??? What do you mean [Confused]

[ April 11, 2006, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: SydeWayzSix ]

--------------------

93cobracoupestang
¯
Member # 5765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93cobracoupestang  Ford pictures for 93cobracoupestang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
on the head there are lines that stick out im not sure how to explain it. but its obvious when you look at it. they will say gt40p and will have 3 lines im pretty sure on the back of it. somebody help me out/sidwayz out.

--------------------

2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600

modular
¯
Member # 6599

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for modular  Ford pictures for modular    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The plugs go straight in and are not angled giving the reason for the special headers.

--------------------
I had no idea that so many people knew everything until I joined this site.
I was prolly drunk. Get over it
***BEWARE*** COP CALLERS! Eljefe-Adower!

Posts: 548 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2006  |  :
1quik69
¯
Member # 5481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1quik69  Ford pictures for 1quik69    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On the edge of the head right below the valve cover it will say gt40 or gt40p or something like that on the "p" head. The 40's have 3 raised bars on the front of the head, the "p"s have 4 raised bars. The bars look like those shortbread cookies you buy.
SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWayzSix  Ford pictures for SydeWayzSix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by modular:
The plugs go straight in and are not angled giving the reason for the special headers.

So the P-head's plugs are straight, right?

--------------------

23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 23boy5.0  Ford pictures for 23boy5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what are the differences in the two heads performance wise?
93cobracoupestang
¯
Member # 5765

the "p"s flow better

--------------------

2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600

vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpr_klr  Ford pictures for vpr_klr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DON'T BUY P HEADS. THEY ARE JUNK(THOUGH, BETTER THAN STOCK, BUT CUSTOM HEADERS FOR SHIT HEADS!?).

THEY DON'T FLOW MORE, AT ALL.

THE REVISED PLUG ANGLE IS WHERE THE POWER IS AT. THEY USED A STRAIGHT PLUG FOR BETTER COMBUSTION IN THE LATER MODEL, OBD-II EQUIPPED VEHICLES(EXPLORER'S).

THINK ABOUT THIS, GT-40'S CAME OFF COBRA'S AND WERE SOLD IN THE FORD RACING CATALOG

WHILE THE GT-40 "P" HEADS CAME OFF EXPLORER'S AND WERE NEVER OFFERED BY FORD RACING.

WHICH ONE WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE.......

IF THEY ARE "P" HEADS, A BETTER IDEA WOULD BE TO EXCHANGE YOUR STOCK HEADS FOR CNC PORTED POWER HEADS(STILL AN E7TE CASTING).

--------------------
Project crustang has begun
14 mustangs and counting...

SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

ok...I picked up the heads.

They are stamped "GT" on the corners, but do not say GT40...also, they have 3 raised bars on the backside. These are the NON "P" heads right?

--------------------

forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What you have are Standard Gt40 heads, the same as the 93 cobra.

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

quote:
Originally posted by forced331:
What you have are Standard Gt40 heads, the same as the 93 cobra.

yeah..thats what I wanted [Big Grin] I dont want the P-heads because I didnt want to deal with the headers [patriot]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com