Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Mail Order Engine Companies??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Mail Order Engine Companies??
PumaFiveOh
¯
Member # 2322

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for PumaFiveOh  Ford pictures for PumaFiveOh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm looking to purchase a short block from either DSS or Bennett, but just wanted some feedback from you guys. Which company would you recommend and trust, and who here has a motor from either of these companies? Let me know, thanks!

-DSS
-CHP
-Bennett
-Who else is there??

[Confused]

--------------------
"Pain is temporary, Pride is forever!"

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
-Patton

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a DSS 308 bullit. Actually they sent Me a 308 when I ordered a 306 [Mad] . It was a street strip duty and lasted 10,000 miles before a head gasket failer ended up causing complication's that took it's life. Eric helped Me put a new engine in it and when We checked out the old one the bearing's were pretty bad so it would'nt of lasted much longer. I am not extremely pleased with their product but I guess it could of been worse. The engine was alway's run wqith a tune and with synthetic oil so I don't think the bearing's should have been toasted with 10K but it did see over 120 passes at the strip, about 1/2 were NA and the other half under boost & 13-11 second passes.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

PumaFiveOh
¯
Member # 2322

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PumaFiveOh  Ford pictures for PumaFiveOh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:
I had a DSS 308 bullit. Actually they sent Me a 308 when I ordered a 306 [Mad] . It was a street strip duty and lasted 10,000 miles before a head gasket failer ended up causing complication's that took it's life. Eric helped Me put a new engine in it and when We checked out the old one the bearing's were pretty bad so it would'nt of lasted much longer. I am not extremely pleased with their product but I guess it could of been worse. The engine was alway's run wqith a tune and with synthetic oil so I don't think the bearing's should have been toasted with 10K but it did see over 120 passes at the strip, about 1/2 were NA and the other half under boost & 13-11 second passes.

Hmm, that's not very promising!! After reading these articles I thought DSS was really doing a good job now in regards to their quality and craftsmanship... [Confused]

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/0408mm_dss/

So maybe I should just dish out the extra bucks and have Bennett build it for me? Anyone else have any opinions about either of these companies?

--------------------

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
-Patton

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there are a number of good local places

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

PumaFiveOh
¯
Member # 2322

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for PumaFiveOh  Ford pictures for PumaFiveOh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Hungry Hippo:
there are a number of good local places

For example??

Other then Rob's machine shop in Hayward? And please don't say mustang ranch. lol

--------------------

-Patton

Eagle347
¯
Member # 6205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eagle347  Ford pictures for Eagle347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have speant alot of money with this guy, and he is very honest. He builds great motors for the best prices that I could find. He builds them one at a time, and ships them for free.
LINK

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 1 of 1002 deep forest green GTS's made. Bone stock.

1990 Coupe 347 NX E85 Nitrous kit

Posts: 712 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Keith Craft is a good 'mailorder' company. You could have it built locally at a number of different places: Rob's, Reggie Jackson's, Top of the Hill in Livermore to name a few.

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
TrickRacer50
¯
Member # 6345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrickRacer50  Ford pictures for TrickRacer50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would not decommend CHP and DSS is a long ways away and their level # blocks are marketing BS. Call Brian at http://www.adperformance.com

He has the best prices and service

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would go to rob's, bayshore, or shaun's(93 pony)new shop. if you rather have someone that does sidejobs, try johnb

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

cdog301
¯
Member # 5136

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cdog301  Ford pictures for cdog301    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought a short block from DSS and it has run like a champ! I think they make a good product and they are very knowledgeable and the customer service is top notch I would buy another motor no question, but that is just my experience I have not taken the coupe to the track yet!

--------------------
1992 Notch
Dss Pro Bullet
Afr 165's
GT40 U/L
Bassani X w/cats
and other goodies!!!!!!!
I love MOSTLY MUSTANGS OAKLAND CA

Posts: 386 | From: Richmond CA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
One disadvantange of getting a crate motor is that if you have a problem you have to ship the thing back.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
jph331
¯
Member # 665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jph331  Ford pictures for jph331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would also recommend keith Craft Racing. I personally think Bennet is over priced. Keith Craft even took a sporstman block in trade to upgrade to a r block. It was brand new and gave me full price of what I had paid.

http://www.keithcraft.com/

[ April 09, 2006, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: jph331 ]

jph331
¯
Member # 665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jph331  Ford pictures for jph331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ April 09, 2006, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: jph331 ]

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Hungry Hippo:
i would go to rob's, bayshore, or shaun's(93 pony)new shop. if you rather have someone that does sidejobs, try johnb

Building a 331, 347, and 4.6 4v right now... [Smile]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com