Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » register with new plates

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: register with new plates
86BackInBlack
¯
Member # 5372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86BackInBlack  Ford pictures for 86BackInBlack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got a 66 mustang and i want to register it under these black plates that i found. my question is what will I have to do for this? will I have to pay a bunch of money to do it? cause i know the DMV likes to make everything take as long as possible.
thanx

--------------------
http://i.imgur.com/go1nj.gif

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Unless the black plate is a vanity plate, it ain't gonna happen.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
86BackInBlack
¯
Member # 5372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86BackInBlack  Ford pictures for 86BackInBlack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well the black plates are from another 66 mustang, is that possible?

--------------------

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It doesn't matter what car they came from. The only plates you can transfer are vanity plates. They will not allow a re-issue to another car.

The ONLY possibility is if you fill out a statement of facts showing the car you are taking the plates from has been junked or is out of the DMV system. This worked for me one time, about 7 years ago. I wanted to keep the blue/yellow plates for my 71 Challenger RT, as they were period-correct. I had to show the car I took them from wasn't on the road any longer...nor would ever be.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

86BackInBlack
¯
Member # 5372

the car they came from is gonna be re-registered with new plates

--------------------

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ya, I don't see it happening unless you catch DMV on a good day...

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

DARKNIGHT
¯
Member # 6045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DARKNIGHT  Ford pictures for DARKNIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the dmv doesn't like to register cars with the old yellow plates as far as I know if you let the reg. on an old car with yellow plates lapse off the dmv computer when you re register it you will get the new white plates but you never know good luck

--------------------
1965 Mercury Comet-SOLD
1968 Mustang with Cleveland power
1988 notch-SOLD
1999 merc grand marquis "The White Car"Sold

Posts: 423 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
86BackInBlack
¯
Member # 5372

ok, well thanx anyways guys

--------------------

picuplouie
¯
Member # 5948

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for picuplouie  Ford pictures for picuplouie    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can go and get some NEW CUSTOM PLATES with the exact numbers from the BLACK PLATES. You will have to check the DMV list to make sure no one has those numbers first though. But more than likely, common license plate numbers will not be found in the CUSTOM PLATE list. And when the new ones arrive in the mail put them away. Pull out the BLACK PLATES and put the stickers on. And presto... vintage BLACK PLATES ready2go!
Posts: 68 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
can't u order new black plates as a custom and pay extra?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com