Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How much extra power is a stroker worth?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How much extra power is a stroker worth?
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm facing rebuilding a 351w that was burning oil and running really hot oil temp. I'm going to run AFR 205's, a custom hydraulic roller cam, a box intake on a ported lower, big throttle body and Powerpipe, Kooks headers, big exhaust, etc with all the other good stuff. I'd like to run 10.5-1 compression, as this will be an all-motor car. How much horsepower and torque is say, a 393" displacement motor worth over just a .030 over 351(357)? Of course, I realize that bigger is better, but if I can save $1500 on rods and a crank, I just might save my cash.
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
MM&FF did an article a little while back on a 393 Ford Racing crate motor. It made 550hp w/ AFR 185's and a carb. It also had a buttload of torque.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
modular
¯
Member # 6599

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for modular  Ford pictures for modular    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Um well Im thinking as long as the compression is the same on both motors The power made by your combo would be the same, say you had the exact combo on the 351 and it made 456 hp thats 1.3 hp per cubic inch. if the same ratio was added to the 393 its 510 hp. If you take that ratio to a 302 its 390. Im sure theres lots more to it but stroker kits are usualy stronger with forged parts. We need a pro.

--------------------
I had no idea that so many people knew everything until I joined this site.
I was prolly drunk. Get over it
***BEWARE*** COP CALLERS! Eljefe-Adower!

Posts: 548 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2006  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When you're talking strokers, it's all in how far you want to go. If you want a good budget build, I'd go with a 357 and the parts you listed but at 11-1 CR. It will run on pump gas and a good tune. RWHP should be in the 450-500 range.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
talaposa
¯
Member # 2460

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for talaposa  Ford pictures for talaposa    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If its any help to you I have one of those beasts
(427-W)with windsor sr heads etc. A butt load of torque is an understatement. Its in a falcon and at 2,840 lbs it makes a darn good highway car.

TrickRacer50
¯
Member # 6345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrickRacer50  Ford pictures for TrickRacer50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Strokers are also great becasue the rpm range where they make power is lower than the unstroked motor. This great for street and highway driving. With lower rpm you can also run the smaller heads and take advantage of more torque.
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tell me about it. I'm making over 625 rear wheel TQ starting at 2800 through 4500. It makes over 725 at 4600. [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
damn john. you be makin some serious power. when we gona do that to my car?

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWayzSix  Ford pictures for SydeWayzSix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50 Deep:
damn john. you be makin some serious power. when we gona do that to my car?

john is referring to MY car that he's been working on...its a beast [Wink]

When can I take her home John?? [Big Grin]
[Razz]

[ April 03, 2006, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: SydeWayzSix ]

--------------------
1989 Notchback "SF Giants" edition...
Goodbye '00 Kawi ZX-6R...you will be missed dearly.

....on with the show! :)

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com