Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » exhaust fumes inside the car?!?!?!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: exhaust fumes inside the car?!?!?!
SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWayzSix  Ford pictures for SydeWayzSix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am getting some exhaust fumes inside my car while driving. In a recent therad, I was told that all fumes and/or smoke can enter the car from the shifter area if not sealed properly, but where can these fumes be coming from?? Its really annoying sniffing that stuff when sitting in traffic. ALso, how can I eliminate this as best as possible [Confused] [Frown]

--------------------
1989 Notchback "SF Giants" edition...
Goodbye '00 Kawi ZX-6R...you will be missed dearly.

....on with the show! :)

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what exhaust do you have? turndowns? it might also have leaks

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWayzSix  Ford pictures for SydeWayzSix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No, no turn downs. I have BBK shorties, offroad X-pipe, and 1 chamber flows running straight to the back. I do have a slight exhaust leak on the passenger side header....can this be causeing all the fumes I'm experiencing? thanks

--------------------

J24I
¯
Member # 2598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J24I  Ford pictures for J24I    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
every once and while my car smelled like fumes before but then figured out it was leaking at the top of the fuel filler neck on sharp turns and full tank...just a guess though

--------------------
*'87 Coupe
'89 Coupe-SOLD

Posts: 2131 | From: Bay Area(925) | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you still have the heater core, has it been bypassed?? Check the firewall where the heater core pipes go through, could have a leak there or down by the tranny

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

quote:
Originally posted by mustanggt5091:
Do you still have the heater core, has it been bypassed?? Check the firewall where the heater core pipes go through, could have a leak there or down by the tranny

NO heater core...its been bypassed. How can I seal the leaks where the heater core pipes go through? Thanks

--------------------

SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

ok, i gotta do something about this...i drove the car home and I literally had to pull-over just to get some fresh air...How would I be able to seal the transmission/shifter area?? Also, would there be fumes coming from the vents?

--------------------

hockeyguy713
¯
Member # 5354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hockeyguy713  Ford pictures for hockeyguy713    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Same problem man. I feel your pain.

--------------------
91 GT

modular
¯
Member # 6599

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for modular  Ford pictures for modular    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fix the leaks its easier than sealing the cab of the car. If its that bad it has to be more than exhaust, might be raw fuel? Im sure theres someone close to you that would take a look for free? Sounds like a simple fix. Bring it to sac. Ill look at it?-free as long as Im "helping" and not repairing (you do as much as you can)

--------------------
I had no idea that so many people knew everything until I joined this site.
I was prolly drunk. Get over it
***BEWARE*** COP CALLERS! Eljefe-Adower!

Posts: 548 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2006  |  :
SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

quote:
Originally posted by modular:
Fix the leaks its easier than sealing the cab of the car. If its that bad it has to be more than exhaust, might be raw fuel? Im sure theres someone close to you that would take a look for free? Sounds like a simple fix. Bring it to sac. Ill look at it?-free as long as Im "helping" and not repairing (you do as much as you can)

i'd love for you to check it out, but i won't be driving it out to sac with the fumes getting me light-headed and all. I am going to try and fix the exhaust leak tomorrow. As for being "more than just exhaust..." yes, the car is running a bit rich, but that should hopefully be solved tomorrow. I'll keep you guys updated on the fumes and other things... [patriot]

--------------------

SN95_Momba
¯
Member # 5842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SN95_Momba  Ford pictures for SN95_Momba    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this is exactly the same problem im gettin my car also it makes me lightheaded also i have a feeling its exhaust leaks i have turndowns been meaning to get new pipes for a while

--------------------
1990 Mustangh LX/Vert
2000 Mustang GT
1990 Mustang notch LX 331 blown out :(

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup...i had that problem when i had my bbk off road x-pipe on...it came through the ashtray area and shifter section on the middle console there...yeah i used to pull over to get the hell out and breath b/c u can fumigate(sp) ur self....i eventually found a leak from my passenger side header area...therefore i re-installed my stock h-pipe and now no more leak...I'm gonna have to find time to put on a Bassani x-pipe on it so i can loose 4 cats... [Eek!]

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

is there any way to somehow seal the connection between the header an x-pipe in addition to the bolts?? maybe some kind of sealant or something [Confused]

--------------------

modular
¯
Member # 6599

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for modular  Ford pictures for modular    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No. My guess is you need a few washers on the bolts, lots of aftermarket pipes need washers or they bottom out on the studs. Most of the time it causes the nuts to cross thread from people over tightening and the studs break on removal. Take it to a muffler shop it Wouldnt cost to much prolly $20 a side.

--------------------
I had no idea that so many people knew everything until I joined this site.
I was prolly drunk. Get over it
***BEWARE*** COP CALLERS! Eljefe-Adower!

Posts: 548 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2006  |  :
bookoo
¯
Member # 6304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bookoo  Ford pictures for bookoo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
on the flange part the main reason i see them leak there is cause people crank down the bolts and bend the flanges so the pipe doesnt get a even seal. u would have to take the h-pipe off and straighten the flange. put antisieze on the threads of the header studs and just snug them up tight. another way to fix the fumes is make sure your trunk or hatch seal is not bad and properly sealing. i have changed the seal before and it made a big difference.

--------------------
50Reasons:member
prev name "hoppin50"
"Yeah whatever"

92 notch 89 & 93 vert
03 explorer 95 silverado
95 cbr 900 RR (2) 63 cadi's
93 blazer

Posts: 131 | From: sac town/n. highlands | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

well, I noticed that the shifter gasket had a big tear in it, so I will be replacing that hopefully byu tomorrow. I also re-tightened the bolts connecting the X-pipe to the headers. I started the car for about a minute and the "ticking" noise that used to be there is gone....so hopefully the leak is gone. I am yet to drive the car after this because I started to swap my lower manifold today. I'll hopefully test it out tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the help [patriot]

--------------------

Sk8OnGlass
¯
Member # 6370

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sk8OnGlass  Ford pictures for Sk8OnGlass    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
RTV, or is it RVT can seal a lot of things they have many types . .. .

--------------------
First On Race Day
FORD
yup that's my stang in da pic

Posts: 533 | From: san Jose, CA. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
1100hp
¯
Member # 6454

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1100hp  Ford pictures for 1100hp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
RTV [patriot] the high temp copper type is almost indestructable. [Razz]

--------------------
"sure officer, it's stock".

bookoo
¯
Member # 6304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bookoo  Ford pictures for bookoo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ohh no there u guys go with the silicone thing again lol...

--------------------
50Reasons:member
prev name "hoppin50"
"Yeah whatever"

92 notch 89 & 93 vert
03 explorer 95 silverado
95 cbr 900 RR (2) 63 cadi's
93 blazer

Posts: 131 | From: sac town/n. highlands | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com