Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » cam on stock heads

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: cam on stock heads
thoroughbred
¯
Member # 6651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for thoroughbred  Ford pictures for thoroughbred    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
can you put a cam in using the stock heads?
If so, which one?
I know it's always better to upgrade the heads, but i'm just looking for something as of now.
More mods will come later once I get a set of heads.
So for now is there any cam that I can put in usung stock heads?

--------------------
'95 v6 -sold
'85 ex chp notch -sold
'85 lx - sold
'98 nitrous fed gt vert -sold
'89 black lx -show car

Posts: 46 | From: s. san jose | Registered: Mar 2006  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
An E303 or TFS stage 1 would work ok. I have the E cam and it runs good in my stock motor.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is a tfs stage 2 to much for stock heads?

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 23boy5.0  Ford pictures for 23boy5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by asskickn88:
An E303 or TFS stage 1 would work ok. I have the E cam and it runs good in my stock motor.

DID YOU CHANGE THE LIFTERS AND SPRINGS?
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, you can run an E-cam or something similar but I don't think your gains will be worth the effort of swapping cams. I would wait until you upgrade your heads b/f changing the cam.

You can install 1.7 rr's on your stock heads. This will give you a bit more valve lift and reduce friction. It is a relatively easy upgrade compared to changing cams. I would recommend doing this at the same time you upgrade your intake to save some time [Wink]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA
¯
Member # 5068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA  Ford pictures for ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what if you were to install a X or Z cam...i know those are hi cams, but is there any special things you gotta upgrade, with those cams?????...
would one of those cams be worth it??

--------------------
DRIVE IT TILL THE FU**IN WHEELS
FALL OFF...

Posts: 723 | From: San Jose, Cali. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA
¯
Member # 5068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA  Ford pictures for ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i mean if ur gonna slip ina cam,might as well put ina big one right??

--------------------
FALL OFF...

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A cam on stock heads is definitely worth it. Camara90 had a TFS #1 w/1.7 rockers on stock heads with and Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 5/8th longtube headers, off road exhaust with a TB, MAF, and cold air kit. He retarded the cam on the chain to take out the pre ground advance it comes with. At 3400+ lbs it went 13.00 at 106.99 on its only pass. Just set the timing to 14 and fuel psi at 40. with some tuning etc I'm sure it could've done a little better. The valve train will need to be done right and that's where most screw it all up and never get what they thought they would out of the setup.

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 23boy5.0:
quote:
Originally posted by asskickn88:

DID YOU CHANGE THE LIFTERS AND SPRINGS?
I think this is the most overlooked aspect of modifying a fox body stang. The stock valve spring's were barely getting the job done when they were new! 17 Year's and 100,000-200,000 miles later with an even more aggresive cam or increasing valve lift with 1.7 rocker's does'nt make much sense. Hell if You are changing the cam and You pull the head's off it's a snap to have someone pop new spring's in and they are only around 100 buck's plus labor, or they have a tool to change them with the head's still on the car which Me and a friend did on My car a while back.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA
¯
Member # 5068

wheres the best place to get some springs.. for a good price
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AaronC:
A cam on stock heads is definitely worth it. Camara90 had a TFS #1 w/1.7 rockers on stock heads with and Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 5/8th longtube headers, off road exhaust with a TB, MAF, and cold air kit. He retarded the cam on the chain to take out the pre ground advance it comes with. At 3400+ lbs it went 13.00 at 106.99 on its only pass. Just set the timing to 14 and fuel psi at 40. with some tuning etc I'm sure it could've done a little better. The valve train will need to be done right and that's where most screw it all up and never get what they thought they would out of the setup.

Your times in your sig are very impressive for a GT Vert! What is a HiTech cam? Never heard of it.

I have a couple friends that did mid 13's on street tires with cam, intake, gears and exhaust. I agree that you might as well do an intake when you do the cam

[ March 24, 2006, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: silverLX ]

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA:
wheres the best place to get some springs.. for a good price

I got My comp cam spring's from summit for around 125 buck's. Check with Your cam manufacturer for spring rates or if You can't get any info that way do a search on here and on corral.net. [patriot] Oh and don't forget to make sure You ask for the installed hieghth along with the spring rate. [patriot]

[ March 24, 2006, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: SmokinLX ]

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA
¯
Member # 5068

thank you sir... [patriot]

--------------------
FALL OFF...

thoroughbred
¯
Member # 6651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for thoroughbred  Ford pictures for thoroughbred    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
basically I've got a 89lx and have a new cobra intake(upper & lower). When I put that on I want to do a cam as well.
So from what I gather, I can put in a E303 in there, but make sure I change out the valve springs and upgrade the rockers to 1.7's

Someone tell me if this is correct?
I'm planning on having all this done at once.

--------------------
'95 v6 -sold
'85 ex chp notch -sold
'85 lx - sold
'98 nitrous fed gt vert -sold
'89 black lx -show car

Posts: 46 | From: s. san jose | Registered: Mar 2006  |  :
AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by silverLX:

Your times in your sig are very impressive for a GT Vert! What is a HiTech cam? Never heard of it.[/QUOTE]

It's a custom from HiTech Motorsport

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com