Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » I got a Question??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: I got a Question??
68stang
¯
Member # 6649

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68stang  Ford pictures for 68stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok so I was on my way home tonight in my 68 coupe 302 w/ manual 4spd, and I was in 3rd gear and the car just died... since it was in gear of course it tried starting again, it backfired big time then died. So I pushed in the clutch rolled to a stop and tried starting it, it wouldn't start. Tried a few more times and still wouldn't start. I pushed it out of the way of traffic got on the phone and then after about 10 minutes tried again to start it and it started right away and drove the rest of the way home perfectly..... It almost seems like it flooded or something... Any ideas what that was all about, why it happened??? What can I do to stop it from happening again?

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/10772322

68 Blue w/White stripes Mustang Coupe 302

Posts: 17 | From: Concord, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  :
NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Too bad you didn't check for spark when the car couldn't start. Maybe the ignitition module over heated. You'll probably have to wait until it does it again.
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Heats up and it dies but when it cools down starts up sounds like a bad TFI module to me.

What year 302 do you have?

5OHS5OH
¯
Member # 4665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5OHS5OH  Ford pictures for 5OHS5OH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Might be crap in the gas tank. Were you close to emoty ? Sometimes sediment or whatever blocks the intake screen, after pressure drops off the bad stuff floats away and your good to go. Also, check you fuel filter.

--------------------
89 Convertable GT
BBK Headers, cai

Posts: 1044 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
68stang
¯
Member # 6649

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68stang  Ford pictures for 68stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5OHS5OH:
Might be crap in the gas tank. Were you close to emoty ? Sometimes sediment or whatever blocks the intake screen, after pressure drops off the bad stuff floats away and your good to go. Also, check you fuel filter.

I think I had about a quarter of a tank left...

And unfortunately i couldn't check the spark cus I was by myself but that sounds like a good idea. Im gonna cruise around today and see if it'll do it again today... and we'll see...

[ March 23, 2006, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: 68stang ]

--------------------

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
does it have electronic ignition? if not check points and condensor...more the condensor

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

68stang
¯
Member # 6649

quote:
Originally posted by 2stangs69-91:
does it have electronic ignition? if not check points and condensor...more the condensor

yes it is an electronic ignition.

Oh and also I guess I shoulda said the module is pretty much brand new.. i think i replaced it like 1 1/2 monts ago or something...

I did take the car out for like an hour today and everything seemed fine no problems at all so I dont know...

[ March 23, 2006, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: 68stang ]

--------------------

68stang
¯
Member # 6649

ok so it did it again last night... then this morning went to go start it up and it wouldnt start... I was able to check for spark this morning and there was no spark..... but the module was just replaced in january... any ideas????

--------------------

92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just because the module is newer doesnt mean its working. try replacing it if it doesnt fix it return it.

Justin

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com