Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Whats the best Battery???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Whats the best Battery???
CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLEEN 50  Ford pictures for CLEEN 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OK so I bought an Optima Blue top in 2004 and now it can't hold it's charge anymore. I was under the impression these battery last along time. Anyways its time to buy a new battery and was wondering what the best battery is for the money. Not looking to spend that much. I just want a battery that is really reliable and that will last for years. My mechanic recommended Interstate and he said it would last for 4-5 years [Eek!] for like $75 bucks. Just wanted to see what everyone thought. My car has an in dash-dvd player and amplifiers for the speakers if that matters.

Thanks for your help.

[patriot]

[ March 16, 2006, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: CLEEN 50 ]

--------------------
91 GT
(cafords reg date: 6/02)

Posts: 2534 | From: Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you got the marine optima, you should get the yellow top optima with all your electronics in the car.

Justin

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you do relize that is a deep cycle marine battery right??? You want the red top for a regular car or the yellow for deep cycle if you have a big stereo or something

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that blue top optima is is more for boats and marine type applications, did you get it tested? you could have gotten a battery that came from a bad batch, i bought a red top in the begining of 05 and after a couple of months it wouldnt wouldnt hold a charge i went in and had it tested and the cel was bad and they gave me a new one, becuase there was a bad batch of batteries that were sent out. this also happened to my friend with his yellow top, so yo might have gotten one that came from a bad batch.
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
89SC50
¯
Member # 6248

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89SC50  Ford pictures for 89SC50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have had good luck with red optima never failed me once, interstate megatron is good to if you want to spend a little less but the yellow optima seems to be the battery to have.
Posts: 185 | From: santa rosa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
droptp50
¯
Member # 5546

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for droptp50  Ford pictures for droptp50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i use napa legend batterys never a problem

--------------------
91 gt vert - sold
89 lx hatch

CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLEEN 50  Ford pictures for CLEEN 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it seems like everyone is gearing towards optimas. How long has everyone had theres. I've been through 2 batteries and 3 alts in the past 3 years. I have a PA performance alt now. I'm kinda scared to go w/ optima again due to price and reliability. Any other experiences?

thanks [patriot]

--------------------
91 GT

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
your blue top isn't covered under warranty [Confused]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:
your blue top isn't covered under warranty [Confused]

it should be under warrenty, i know my redtop has more than a 3 year warrenty
CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

I dont know I bought from a stereo shop. I'll have to check if I still have my receipt.

--------------------
91 GT

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

quote:
Originally posted by CLEEN 50:
I dont know I bought from a stereo shop. I'll have to check if I still have my receipt.

they should have it on record that you bought it from them, did you have a stock alt when you have the electronics on it?
rocjunkie
¯
Member # 5826

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rocjunkie  Ford pictures for rocjunkie  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Optima makes great batteries, but for many different applications. I off-road (a lot) and have had one of my red top optimas since 2000. I have put it through dead winching, hours of long loud stereo playing, and all around abuse with NO problems. They definately surpass the competition for the price. If you purchase them from a quality store they will usually pro-rate the warranty. I got my last one from Pep-Boys 6mos. ago for around $120.00 and keep the warranty/receipt in the glove box.

--------------------
www.reallysickrigs.com

NO-CLONE
¯
Member # 4594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO-CLONE  Ford pictures for NO-CLONE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My last optima yellow top lasted me 8 years and
went through 3 diffent cars. I will never buy
anything but an optima!

--------------------
If the purpose of a wing is to apply down force to the drive wheels at high speeds, shouldn't the wing on most imports be mounted on the hood?

CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

quote:
Originally posted by two-gun kid:
quote:

they should have it on record that you bought it from them, did you have a stock alt when you have the electronics on it?
I did until it blew now I have PA alt 140amp.

--------------------
91 GT

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by two-gun kid:
quote:

I did until it blew now I have PA alt 140amp.
thats prob why it couldnt hold a charge, becuase the electronics were taking so much power from it and the alt couldnt provide enough power to the battery to charge it and it would be decharging it.

i say get a optima yellow top [patriot]

[ March 16, 2006, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: two-gun kid ]

CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

do you know where the cheapest place I can get it at?

--------------------
91 GT

89SC50
¯
Member # 6248

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89SC50  Ford pictures for 89SC50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got my red top at costco for $99
Posts: 185 | From: santa rosa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Damn I got found the receipt and called the place and they only offer a one year warranty [Frown] [Mad] . Cheap Bastards

--------------------
91 GT

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get it from costco and its basically a lifetime warranty, that's where I got mine...

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
mysnakebyts
¯
Member # 4099

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysnakebyts  Ford pictures for mysnakebyts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Interstate mega tron plus

--------------------
rondezi

BlownNOSMustang
¯
Member # 158

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlownNOSMustang  Ford pictures for BlownNOSMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My optima has been going for 2 1/2 years now. it has been dead twice, drained due to lights on, and still hangs in there. Still strong.

--------------------
1993 Hatch,363 CI,670 RWHP

Posts: 238 | From: Cow Town,USA. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com