Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » wurling noise when car is cold either clutch or tranny;

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: wurling noise when car is cold either clutch or tranny;
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
push the clutch in and noise goes away. Let clutch out and wurling noise is back.

What is it? How much $ am I looking at? [Frown]

Clutch is a king cobra with maybe 7k miles on it
Tranny is OEM with 163,000 miles fresh fluid maybe 2K miles ago.

[ March 13, 2006, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Jdub07 ]

SilverScab
¯
Member # 6092

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverScab  Ford pictures for SilverScab    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
throw out bearing
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what will that intale? what is happening in there? What will happen if nothing is done to fix it?
DaveG
¯
Member # 1606

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveG  Ford pictures for DaveG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Could also be a bad bearing retainer. Change it out to a steel one while you're in there.

--------------------
DaveG
96-0029 S-351
Supercharged Speedster
613rwhp, 633rwtq

SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWayzSix  Ford pictures for SydeWayzSix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had the same problem on my 96...it was the throw out bearing. I dont think it'll really effect driveability for a while, but the noise will get louder and annoying.

--------------------
1989 Notchback "SF Giants" edition...
Goodbye '00 Kawi ZX-6R...you will be missed dearly.

....on with the show! :)

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

I didn't put the clutch in and I have not knowledge on how to. Why would this go bad less than 10,000 miles into it?? POS! What would it cost to have someone fix it? About?
89Rodknocker
CAFords OG
Member # 2951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Rodknocker  Ford pictures for 89Rodknocker    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would cost close to nothing (wheels) Wink wink j/k. Just buy a throwout bearing from apex i'll give you a hand. I heard they have a HD one. I've been through 3 stock ones.

--------------------
89 lx (stolen and stripped)
94 gt runner (sold)
89 lx Stock(sold)
86 gt T-trim (sold)
73 Camaro BBC
01 5.0 Explorer limited Borlas (sold)

8HATCH8
¯
Member # 6322

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8HATCH8  Ford pictures for 8HATCH8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
someone might of forgot the GREASE!
SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWayzSix  Ford pictures for SydeWayzSix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you had someone change the clutch, they may have NOT changed the throwout bearing, or like stated above, may not have greased it properly.

--------------------
1989 Notchback "SF Giants" edition...
Goodbye '00 Kawi ZX-6R...you will be missed dearly.

....on with the show! :)

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the main thing that would cause it to go out that quickly is if the throw out bearing retainer (the thing the TOB slides on) has a groove in it.

what I would do to fix it is buy a new TOB and heavy duty steel retainer from summit.

its very simple to replace those parts, you dont have to take the clutch off the flywheel, just take the 4 bolts off the trans to bellhousing, drop the driveshaft, unhook the clutch cable from the trans, undo the shifter knob and take the boot off, then drop the h-pipe out, drop the trans crossmember out and pull the tranny off the bellhousing.

once its out the retainer is the thing in the front of the trans that the input shaft is inside, just a hanful of bolts to swap, and the TOB will be in the bellhousing stuck in the clutch fork, just pop the old off and pop the new in, then reassemble.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by blind:
the main thing that would cause it to go out that quickly is if the throw out bearing retainer (the thing the TOB slides on) has a groove in it.

what I would do to fix it is buy a new TOB and heavy duty steel retainer from summit.

its very simple to replace those parts, you dont have to take the clutch off the flywheel, just take the 4 bolts off the trans to bellhousing, drop the driveshaft, unhook the clutch cable from the trans, undo the shifter knob and take the boot off, then drop the h-pipe out, drop the trans crossmember out and pull the tranny off the bellhousing.

once its out the retainer is the thing in the front of the trans that the input shaft is inside, just a hanful of bolts to swap, and the TOB will be in the bellhousing stuck in the clutch fork, just pop the old off and pop the new in, then reassemble.

Sounds like a lot for me but do-able. How much would a reputable shop charge for this? If I do it myself what is the best brand to buy and is summit the only option?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com