Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need help with cooling issue please!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help with cooling issue please!
picuplouie
¯
Member # 5948

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for picuplouie  Ford pictures for picuplouie    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just replaced the original radiator with a new one and the thermostat also. But am still getting kind of high temp readings sometimes. Most of the time now with the new stuff it runs real kool. Actually way cooler then before. But on occassion it might run alittle higher than normal. On the gauge, the needle usually sits around the N and O. But might run up to the letter M. Do you guys think the water pump might need to be re-placed also???
Posts: 68 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What thermostat are you running and what fan setup do you have? Also, does it just get hot when you are stopped or when you are driving?
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
8HATCH8
¯
Member # 6322

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8HATCH8  Ford pictures for 8HATCH8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your using a 197 degree thermostat get rid of it, it's garbage, you need to get a 180 degree which are about the same price you will never go over the half way mark
picuplouie
¯
Member # 5948

Ford Icon 12 posted      Profile for picuplouie  Ford pictures for picuplouie    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm running the stock fan set-up. As for the thermostat I have to check. I forgot which one was put in. And it does this mostly when I'm driving. Parked at idle it's just fine. That's why it's got me all confused!?!?!
87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87Fox916  Ford pictures for 87Fox916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you mix the Fluid yourself or did you buy the pre mixed. If you mixed yourself it might be as simple as the mixture ratio of your fluids. I had that problem before.

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

Posts: 1652 | From: SACRAMENTO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check the cap on radiator if it doesnt hold pressure need to change always over looked change once a year everytime you flush radiator and dont mix with red gm coolnt also when car is warm turn car off and try spinning the fan with hand if easy to turn must change fan clutch if its hard its good

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
picuplouie
¯
Member # 5948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for picuplouie  Ford pictures for picuplouie    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's pre-mixed antifreeze. The radiator cap is brand new. 16lbs. and with one of those red pressure levers too. But I'm going to run outside right now out of curiosity to try and spin the fan. I know it's late but this crap is bugging the crap out of me!
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its hard to tell without you having an actual water temp guage (not stock) and not knowing what temp thermostat you have.

IIRC a 195 stat would have it running right around the M on the guage (right in the middle)

its in the normal range, why does it bother you? The temperature should fluctuate as you drive, if you are beating on the car its going to be running warmer than at idle.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
picuplouie
¯
Member # 5948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for picuplouie  Ford pictures for picuplouie    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok... fan has good resistance. Just got back from driving it around on the freeway and street for the last 1/2hr. Nothing now. What gives? The reason why this is bothering me is because before all the new stuff got put in, the temp never moved. Gremlin???

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com