Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » PIP - - is there any special way to replace the PIP?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: PIP - - is there any special way to replace the PIP?
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't want to fuck it up and get a whole new distributor if I don't have to so I thought I'd see if there is a secret to that little guy.
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Remove the distributor, making sure you mark where the rotor is pointing and where the base of the dist is on the block....

Once removed you have to get a punch to hammer out the ring pin on the dist gear, then get a puller and pull off the dist gear...I just used a 2 jaw puller...NOTE~Make sure you pay attention to how the gear came off, you don't want to try and install the gear upside down when you reinstall it...

Once you do that the shaft slides out and you can simply unbolt the PIP and bolt the new one in...Then you're gonna have to press the dist gear back on, making sure you line up the ring pin hole...Then carefully tap the ring pin back in the gear, but make sure you line up the hole or else you'll fuck the ring pin up...

Good luck

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
TrickRacer50
¯
Member # 6345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrickRacer50  Ford pictures for TrickRacer50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get a new pin.

If you cannot get the gear off with a regular puller then you have to use a bearing puller, but the bearing puller will stress the gear and ruin it.

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the detailed info!! [patriot]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com