Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » fuel pump wont come on UPDATED HELP NEEDED

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: fuel pump wont come on UPDATED HELP NEEDED
yohuallin
¯
Member # 4452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yohuallin  Ford pictures for yohuallin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
on my friends 50, the fuel pump wont come on, what should we check before we start removing the fuel pump, any fuses, relays, switches? thanks

[ February 26, 2006, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: yohuallin ]

Posts: 359 | From: sacramento | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes. Check the inertia switch in the trunk/hatch it is on the drivers side behind the tail light. push the botton on the switch then try. if thats not it I would check the relay by the computer, under the seat, then the pump.

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[QUOTE]Originally posted by silverLX:
Yes. Check the inertia switch in the trunk/hatch it is on the drivers side behind the tail light. push the botton on the switch then try. if thats not it I would check the relay by the computer, under the seat, then the pump. [/QUOT

[patriot]

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
yohuallin
¯
Member # 4452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yohuallin  Ford pictures for yohuallin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok i tried new relays and didnt worked, so i removed the fuel tank, now when i use a batt to turn on the pump on the higher part of the fuel pump, it shoots fuel out of there, but when i connect the batt to the lower part of the tank it wont do anything, does anyone knows if it is suppose to be like that....?
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by silverLX:
Check the inertia switch.

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

yohuallin
¯
Member # 4452

quote:
quote:
Check the inertia switch.

done that
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

you replaced both relays? I think there might be one in the engine compartment too

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dead stock ford fuel pumps are common. Don't waste your time and just drop the tank. If you want to be sure the pump is dead with out completely removing it, drop the tank enough to allow you to remove the connector on top of the pump. Put an OHM meter across the two leads. If you can't read the resistance, the fuel pump motor's coils have burnt open.

[ February 27, 2006, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: NO MANRZ ]

--------------------
Bring It . . .

putter
¯
Member # 4253

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for putter  Ford pictures for putter    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If its a 93 the relay is in the engine compartment on the passenger side mounted below the stock air box. Im guessing since it worked wired to direct power its not your problem. Im not sure if it gets all that juice youre giving it under the keys ignition power but... Are you sure you replaced all the relays?

--------------------
KEEP THE SHIT REAL!
Is someone posting a bunch of B/S and lies? PM me Ill bust em out for ya!
Sellers Beware WayfastYtee "BAD TRADER"

Posts: 626 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
putter
¯
Member # 4253

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for putter  Ford pictures for putter    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Let me simplify that the pump may not get a full 12 volts from the key (Im not sure) and since you wired it direct to 12 volts it may still be faulty meaning if the key gives it a normal 6 volts your 12 may kick it on but the 6 wont. Dont cut corners though check all your relays.

--------------------
KEEP THE SHIT REAL!
Is someone posting a bunch of B/S and lies? PM me Ill bust em out for ya!
Sellers Beware WayfastYtee "BAD TRADER"

Posts: 626 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
TrickRacer50
¯
Member # 6345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrickRacer50  Ford pictures for TrickRacer50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a dead pump onetime. I drove from Marin to Alameda fine, but when I went to leave the car it would not run. Then I remembered not hearing the pump when I turned the key. Changed the pump and all was well. Taking out the tank is easy. If your relay is good then I would get a new pump. It is a simple system.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com