Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Fuse keep blowing!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Fuse keep blowing!!
JoHnNy SaVaGe
¯
Member # 6424

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for JoHnNy SaVaGe  Ford pictures for JoHnNy SaVaGe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so my fuse for the lights in gauges and heater control keeps going out. It started out of the blue and now continues to blow out.... WTF!

--------------------
SCARED MEN DON'T WIN

ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA
¯
Member # 5068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA  Ford pictures for ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i know this sounds lika bitch but u probably wanna go through ALL of your wiring, check under the dash, but more importantly, cuz im sure u a have wires corruded up and there touching each other..which would constantly cause fuses to blow..i have an 89 GT and i had this same experience(fuses blowing/ alternator going bad/ car dying) but the wires under the battery were pretty corruded and i re-wired them and it fixed the problem,,so good luck, hope this info gives a lil help out, let me know what happens thanks

--------------------
DRIVE IT TILL THE FU**IN WHEELS
FALL OFF...

Posts: 723 | From: San Jose, Cali. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You gotta check for shorts and insulation on your wiring.

Theres a short somewhere that keeps blowing your fuse.

JoHnNy SaVaGe
¯
Member # 6424

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoHnNy SaVaGe  Ford pictures for JoHnNy SaVaGe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so really the only way to check is to go through just about all the wiring like alleyez said. Damn aint that a bitch!!! any particular wire you can think of or a section of wiring that would affect the gauge lights?

[ February 21, 2006, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: JoHnNy SaVaGe ]

--------------------
SCARED MEN DON'T WIN

ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA
¯
Member # 5068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA  Ford pictures for ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
id start off looking through wires that are under the hood, cuz those are the ones in weather conditions, those are the ones that would probably go first...but u gotta get a razor and slice open the plastic that covers all the wire..use the tool that checks for current.(continunity tester...if thats how freakin spell it)...check one side..if it lights then u got current coming through...then check the other side of the wire, if the tester doesnt light then, that means that their is no current and the wire is cut.....hope this helps,,,,

--------------------
DRIVE IT TILL THE FU**IN WHEELS
FALL OFF...

Posts: 723 | From: San Jose, Cali. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
jph331
¯
Member # 665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jph331  Ford pictures for jph331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If it is just the illumination lighting then the problem would be inside the vehicle. First place I would check is the illumination wire for the radio or the dimmer control switch.
TrickRacer50
¯
Member # 6345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrickRacer50  Ford pictures for TrickRacer50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have had a blower going bad onetime and it cooked the wires and switch to the heater switch. Start by pulling the the panel that controls the heater. See if you have any melted wires, etc.

If not, then look for a short in the circuit. Here is something I found to explain: http://www.inliners.org/tech/tech6.html

If you see that the test light is on (makes sense after reading link) then pull the fuse for the heater/instrument circuit and see if the light dimms or goes off. If it does then put the fuse back in and hook up the test light. Start disconnecting components in that circuit until the light dimms or goes off. When the last item unplugged goes off that is the area where the short is located.

Hope this helps

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Put a paper clip in the fuse slot and watch for the smoke.........just kidding!

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com