Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » TIMING

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: TIMING
lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If my timing is way off, is there a possibility that the car will overheat???? I cheked the water pump evertything, thermostst, basically everything is new on this motor???? But the timing is off definatelly, when it revs past 3K you hear some slight pinging/rattling. The tech GURU'S, would you guys happen to have any idea, and I will get my friend to come by with the light gun fo the timimng. I puilled the car out, and within 10 BLOCKS it was getting really hott [Mad] - any ideas- [patriot]

--------------------
*NorCal

TrickRacer50
¯
Member # 6345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrickRacer50  Ford pictures for TrickRacer50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Too much timing (advanced) will cause overheating. Did you also burp the system? If you have an air bubble in the block it will also overheat.
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Set the timing correctly first, with a timing light. Any guessing or trying to "set it by ear" is a complete waste of time.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
J24I
¯
Member # 2598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J24I  Ford pictures for J24I    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Set the timing correctly first, with a timing light. Any guessing or trying to "set it by ear" is a complete waste of time.

[Cool]

--------------------
*'87 Coupe
'89 Coupe-SOLD

Posts: 2131 | From: Bay Area(925) | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I doubt the timing is going to make it overheat like that. you probably dont have the right waterpump or just have air in the system. Does the water ever circulate? Try putting a bypass hole in the thermostat.

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
too much timing....

too little fuel....lean

can cause your problem too

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Got the timing set at 15 Degrees, Of course it had to be done with a LIGHT-GUN, but GUESS WHAT? The damn thing still heats up, not as much, but it does heat up. It overheats if you travel more than 3-5 MILES, what else can it be???? I might have to replace the thermostat, and flush the radiator and add coolant. [Mad] What do you guys think???? [patriot]

--------------------
*NorCal

white50steve
¯
Member # 5887

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white50steve  Ford pictures for white50steve    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
change the thermostat its only like 6 bucks
Posts: 161 | From: south san francisco | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
WayFastYTee
Yes I'm Whipped!
Member # 6116

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WayFastYTee  Ford pictures for WayFastYTee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the same problem when i did my timing.it overheated a lil bit when i barely drove it.so i switched it back to stock timing.and it works just fine now.Just thought i'de throw that in there.

--------------------
89 GT, Chica Ba Wow!!!

I think Putter has a Crush on me! Im flattered :X

Posts: 1029 | From: rohnert park | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When it gets hot compare the temps of your lower and upper radiator hoses. If the upper is colder than the lower then the thermostat is probably stuck closed.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Motorhead6T5  Ford pictures for Motorhead6T5    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My vote is air in the system. If you give it WOT and the thing cools down instantly its the thermostat.

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com