Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » navigator trouble? !!!!!!!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: navigator trouble? !!!!!!!!!
Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for Spitfiremk24  Ford pictures for Spitfiremk24    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey

the familys navigator is acting up. Im pretty sure its like late 90s, maybe a 2000, 5.4L and it does a lot of sitting around these days. Its used every day for about a week, and then left in the street for sometimes two weeks at a time (carpooling) and its got over 100k on the clock.

So, sometimes when you start it up, the exhaust smoke is blue (burning oil? ) and sometimes the oil pressure gauge reads zero, and theres a warning light.

What the heck does that mean? bad sensor? bad oil pump?

we are supposed to drive it up to the snow in a few days, and I am wondering if its a good idea to drive it or not.

--------------------
04 GT

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the oil level is ok and there's no knocking I'd say it's a 98% chance its the oil pressure sending unit on the oil filter housing. The smoke could just be condinsation built up in the exhuast, especially if you never drive it.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

SmokeyBurnout
¯
Member # 5745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokeyBurnout  Ford pictures for SmokeyBurnout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Spitfiremk24:
Hey

the familys navigator is acting up. Im pretty sure its like late 90s, maybe a 2000, 5.4L and it does a lot of sitting around these days. Its used every day for about a week, and then left in the street for sometimes two weeks at a time (carpooling) and its got over 100k on the clock.

So, sometimes when you start it up, the exhaust smoke is blue (burning oil? ) and sometimes the oil pressure gauge reads zero, and theres a warning light.

What the heck does that mean? bad sensor? bad oil pump?

we are supposed to drive it up to the snow in a few days, and I am wondering if its a good idea to drive it or not.

Sounds like it needs a 150 shot of NOS.
[Big Grin]

[ February 19, 2006, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: SmokeyBurnout ]

Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spitfiremk24  Ford pictures for Spitfiremk24    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
... thanks for that... [Razz]
Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spitfiremk24  Ford pictures for Spitfiremk24    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
*BUMP*

anyone else have anything to say?

my dad took it to livermore auto group and they said they would plug it in for diagnostics... but if its not throwing a code, can you really have a look around inside with a computer?

thanks guys

--------------------
04 GT

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Spitfiremk24:
*BUMP*

anyone else have anything to say?

my dad took it to livermore auto group and they said they would plug it in for diagnostics... but if its not throwing a code, can you really have a look around inside with a computer?

thanks guys

Yes, there's data called Parameter Identifiers, but those would be useless in your concern. The smoking concern (if it is smoke, you'd be suprised on how many people think condensation burning off is smoke) is base engine. Oil pressure guage going to zero is either base engine or electrical. I'm positive your engine dosen't have low oil pressure. That guage dosent work like a coolant temp guage that can range from 0-100%, an oil pressure guage is basically on and off. Oil pressure sensor sees pressure, guage automatically goes halfway, dosent see pressure, needle stays at zero. Plus if you did have no engine oil pressure that engine would no doubt be locked up by now.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com