Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Local Machine Shops (modular engine builders)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Local Machine Shops (modular engine builders)
mf150
¯
Member # 6526

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mf150  Ford pictures for mf150  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Was just wondering if anyone in the Bay Area has experience building 4.6L Modular Engines???

Any suggestions appreciated.

--------------------
BDRA #83

Posts: 72 | From: The Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2006  |  :
NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
HCI Motorsports in Sacramento --> 916-643-2291
mf150
¯
Member # 6526

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mf150  Ford pictures for mf150  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
right on brotha...have you had any personal experience with them? or just heard through the grapevine?

--------------------
BDRA #83

NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Never heard anything bad about them. Their name comes up as the only choice when this question is asked here and one of their engine builders posts here.

--------------------
Bring It . . .

mf150
¯
Member # 6526

Good heads up...thanks.

--------------------
BDRA #83

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
we can also do it, what are you looking to do?

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

SilverScab
¯
Member # 6092

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverScab  Ford pictures for SilverScab    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
93Pony builds modular motors for a good price in San Jose. Send him a PM
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NO MANRZ:
HCI Motorsports in Sacramento --> 916-643-2291

my motor was built by 93 pony when he was at hci.
he does good work [worship]

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
JohnB loves modulars... [Big Grin]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Watch out for Travis at HCI.
He's been fucking the customers over lately....(that's the main reason I left).
3 consecutive customers were overcharged for services my last month at HCI. Including a few on this website.

Got a call from (yet another) customer today that just picked up his car from HCI & the bill far higher than it should have been.

The customer got the bill lowered, but after going over the bill with him myself I saw over $1500 in extra charges that should not have been there.

Things like charging for bearings, bore/hone, balance, assembly of shortblock all charged seperately in ADDITION to charging for a fully assembled/balanced/blueprinted shortblock. All of which is included in the HCI 'shortblock'. (over $1150 in additional charges in this area alone)
Charging for gringing/polishing a crakshaft when no such work was done. ($100)
Charging for shipping when there were no parts shipped. ($50+)
$150-$200 charges for 'Misc hardware & fluids', instead of breaking it down to individual items.

I haven't posted anything bad about HCI since I left. I was hoping Travis would get his ass in gear & stop fucking the customers...or at least that I wouldn't be hearing about it. But my customers (at the new shop) are also HCI's customers & I'm still hearing these horror stories.

This isn't the first time this has happened. In recent past Travis & I had a disaggreement about a warranty issue for a previous customer. Travis didn't want to cover the problem under warranty, I felt there was a valid reason to cover the problem at no charge. In the end he charged the customer & threatened to fire me if I ever disaggreed with him in front of a customer.
This after he'd already charged another customer for what was clearly a warranty issue, but because fixing it involved removal of the engine, dissasembly & some parts, Travis didn't want to take the 'hit' & he charged the customer.
Then yet another warranty issue came in the day I was picking up my tools. Some of you know Omar with the Orange Saleen look-a-like. His motor took a shit due to piston to valve contact that should have been addressed when the motor was built. A guide broke due to piston/valve contact & did some damage to the engine. I have no idea if they're going to charge Omar for the repairs or not.....I would *hope* that they do not, however something tells me Omar will have a bill.

Today I spoke with the owner of ADPerformance where HCI gets all their rotating assemblies. Travis has not paid the bill in 4 months.....so they've now been cut-off.

It really sucks to see this happening. I put in a few years of hard work & Cole/Dave have put in MANY years of good quality hard work & that is why HCI has the reputation it does.

Unfortunately with Travis as General Manager of HCI, they will not last long....& he is destroying HCI's good reputation.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that's a shame about hci. isnt Cole the owner? why isn't he doing anything?

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Hungry Hippo:
that's a shame about hci. isnt Cole the owner? why isn't he doing anything?

HCI is a Corporation.....there is no owner. Travis is the CEO's son.
Cole was in charge (GM), but stepped down to semi-retire & just build engines. He was hoping Travis (being the CEO's son) could get some much-needed funding out of his father for Motorsports.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
putter
¯
Member # 4253

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for putter  Ford pictures for putter    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like the owner needs to be informed of whats going on. Even with a little exageration (not saying you are) theres definatly some problems. Sounds like some of those warranty problems could be worked out in court also sounds like you would be a star witness [Wink] Also the court thing is very cheap and easy to file.

--------------------
KEEP THE SHIT REAL!
Is someone posting a bunch of B/S and lies? PM me Ill bust em out for ya!
Sellers Beware WayfastYtee "BAD TRADER"

Posts: 626 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
mf150
¯
Member # 6526

quote:
Originally posted by CDT:

complete shortblock...FRPP block, manly h-rods, cp pistons, cobra crank (maybe stock GT--less weight), etc...

the goal: a bullit proof N/A CARB legal 4.6L SOHC.

btw, I met you guys last winter when my buddy with a Dark Shadow Grey 04 GT had his car dyno tuned...he was really impressed that you got the pinging under control!

[ February 20, 2006, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: mf150 ]

mf150
¯
Member # 6526

quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
Watch out for Travis at HCI.
He's been fucking the customers over lately....(that's the main reason I left).
3 consecutive customers were overcharged for services my last month at HCI. Including a few on this website.

Got a call from (yet another) customer today that just picked up his car from HCI & the bill far higher than it should have been.

The customer got the bill lowered, but after going over the bill with him myself I saw over $1500 in extra charges that should not have been there.

Things like charging for bearings, bore/hone, balance, assembly of shortblock all charged seperately in ADDITION to charging for a fully assembled/balanced/blueprinted shortblock. All of which is included in the HCI 'shortblock'. (over $1150 in additional charges in this area alone)
Charging for gringing/polishing a crakshaft when no such work was done. ($100)
Charging for shipping when there were no parts shipped. ($50+)
$150-$200 charges for 'Misc hardware & fluids', instead of breaking it down to individual items.

I haven't posted anything bad about HCI since I left. I was hoping Travis would get his ass in gear & stop fucking the customers...or at least that I wouldn't be hearing about it. But my customers (at the new shop) are also HCI's customers & I'm still hearing these horror stories.

This isn't the first time this has happened. In recent past Travis & I had a disaggreement about a warranty issue for a previous customer. Travis didn't want to cover the problem under warranty, I felt there was a valid reason to cover the problem at no charge. In the end he charged the customer & threatened to fire me if I ever disaggreed with him in front of a customer.
This after he'd already charged another customer for what was clearly a warranty issue, but because fixing it involved removal of the engine, dissasembly & some parts, Travis didn't want to take the 'hit' & he charged the customer.
Then yet another warranty issue came in the day I was picking up my tools. Some of you know Omar with the Orange Saleen look-a-like. His motor took a shit due to piston to valve contact that should have been addressed when the motor was built. A guide broke due to piston/valve contact & did some damage to the engine. I have no idea if they're going to charge Omar for the repairs or not.....I would *hope* that they do not, however something tells me Omar will have a bill.

Today I spoke with the owner of ADPerformance where HCI gets all their rotating assemblies. Travis has not paid the bill in 4 months.....so they've now been cut-off.

It really sucks to see this happening. I put in a few years of hard work & Cole/Dave have put in MANY years of good quality hard work & that is why HCI has the reputation it does.

Unfortunately with Travis as General Manager of HCI, they will not last long....& he is destroying HCI's good reputation.

PM'D

--------------------
BDRA #83

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mf150:
quote:
Originally posted by CDT:

complete shortblock...FRPP block, manly h-rods, cp pistons, cobra crank (maybe stock GT--less weight), etc...

the goal: a bullit proof N/A CARB legal 4.6L SOHC.

btw, I met you guys last winter when my buddy with a Dark Shadow Grey 04 GT had his car dyno tuned...he was really impressed that you got the pinging under control!

feel free to give me a call, and we can have a sit down and get a plan and a price together

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com