Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » synthetic oil (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: synthetic oil
JEs50
¯
Member # 5383

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JEs50  Ford pictures for JEs50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i am rebuilding a 302 and moding most of the engine out cam, heads, pulleys etc.. and i was wondering what you guys thought about synthetic oil i dont mind spending the extra money on it. I just want to know if it is worth it.

--------------------
1990 GT w/
Everything

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JEs50:
i am rebuilding a 302 and moding most of the engine out cam, heads, pulleys etc.. and i was wondering what you guys thought about synthetic oil i dont mind spending the extra money on it. I just want to know if it is worth it.

AMSOIL cannot be beat...expensive but will save alot on your motor

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jordan_0806:
quote:
Originally posted by JEs50:

AMSOIL cannot be beat...expensive but will save alot on your motor
Where can you get AMSOIL?

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

BlownNOSMustang
¯
Member # 158

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlownNOSMustang  Ford pictures for BlownNOSMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Amsoil for sure. Find a speed shop that carries it, or go to the website they have a list of venders. You'll notice a differance Both in performance and RPM is much more [worship] stable.
Posts: 238 | From: Cow Town,USA. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As far as I recall, to properly break in engine parts you should use regular oil...That way the parts wear in properly and you get a better seal/placement....Synthetic oil is good after the break in period...

My vote: Mobile 1, Red Line or Castrol Syntec, they're all pretty good... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
white50steve
¯
Member # 5887

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white50steve  Ford pictures for white50steve    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you dont have to use synthetic kendall gt1 is what i use it is pretty much the best non synthetic you can buy
Posts: 161 | From: south san francisco | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
KeithStang7
¯
Member # 1945

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeithStang7  Ford pictures for KeithStang7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My uncle is an Engineer in Nashville, TN and he did a huge test on all the leading synthetic oils and the only ones that he mentioned to be the best of the best was Amsoil being 1st and Mobil 1 a very close 2nd. [patriot]

--------------------
We the unwilling
Do the impossible
For the ungrateful

Posts: 393 | From: Redding, Ca | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
DOPE 50
¯
Member # 5892

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DOPE 50  Ford pictures for DOPE 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sorry to jump on you thread but what is the difference between synthetic and the high miles oil?

--------------------
94 COBRA CLONE CONVERTIBLE
67 SS CHEVY NOVA,CAGED UP,TUBBED,FUEL CELL,ETC..IN THE WORKS.[67SSNOV]
91 INTEGRA ON 17'S
94 Ranger Getting lifted

JEs50
¯
Member # 5383

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JEs50  Ford pictures for JEs50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DOPE 50:
sorry to jump on you thread but what is the difference between synthetic and the high miles oil?

I am not sure all that much i was told it was the way the fuels were maid and the stuff inside of them.

--------------------
1990 GT w/
Everything

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just be sure that if you switch to synthetics that you dont go back to regular oil. the guy that owns the shop that i go to told me it does something to the motor that will cost you a lot of damage to your internals. said he seen it happen to plenty of cars. I run castrol syntec in my cobra and its smoove

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Eagle347
¯
Member # 6205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eagle347  Ford pictures for Eagle347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by white50steve:
you dont have to use synthetic kendall gt1 is what i use it is pretty much the best non synthetic you can buy

Man, I highly reccomend that you stop using kendall. I used to work at a garage that used it, and it is horrible. It caused all kinds of problems. I would explain, but it would take to long.

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 1 of 1002 deep forest green GTS's made. Bone stock.

1990 Coupe 347 NX E85 Nitrous kit

Posts: 712 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Hyperider
¯
Member # 5936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hyperider  Ford pictures for Hyperider    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mobile 1 my vote.

--------------------
04 Cobra

mf150
¯
Member # 6526

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mf150  Ford pictures for mf150  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mobil 1 is a full PAO synthetic.

Red Line is a superior Polyol Ester (lubricates the hot parts of jet engines) base stock full synthetic. It is substantially more than Amsoil price wise.

Amsoil series 2000 is a PAO basestock like Mobil 1...the lesser series is a blend.

I have Mobil 1 10W30 in the volvo and F-150 (97 4.6L w/ 230,000+ miles)and Red Line 5W30 in my 03 GT.

--------------------
BDRA #83

Posts: 72 | From: The Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2006  |  :
mf150
¯
Member # 6526

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mf150  Ford pictures for mf150  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50 Deep:
just be sure that if you switch to synthetics that you dont go back to regular oil. the guy that owns the shop that i go to told me it does something to the motor that will cost you a lot of damage to your internals. said he seen it happen to plenty of cars. I run castrol syntec in my cobra and its smoove

This is not true...modern synthetics are 100% mixable with dino oil. They will not hurt anything. Castrol Syntec is not a true synthetic oil.

a good website to research lubricants is: www.bobistheoilguy.com

[ February 17, 2006, 03:50 AM: Message edited by: mf150 ]

--------------------
BDRA #83

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mf150:
quote:

This is not true...modern synthetics are 100% mixable with dino oil. They will not hurt anything. Castrol Syntec is not a true synthetic oil.

Tell that to my grandpa who spent 5 grand after he blew his vortech motor in his 99 suburban after he swithced back to regular oil. but thats just the stuff i seen happen. but check out that web site cuz i could be wrong. all i know is that i wont be switchin between synthetics and regular oil anytime soon

--------------------

mf150
¯
Member # 6526

quote:
quote:
quote:

Tell that to my grandpa who spent 5 grand after he blew his vortech motor in his 99 suburban after he swithced back to regular oil. but thats just the stuff i seen happen. but check out that web site cuz i could be wrong. all i know is that i wont be switchin between synthetics and regular oil anytime soon
yeah, no reason to switch back once you're on the good stuff. Sorry to hear about your grandfather's experience...what kinda oil did he switch back to,and what blew in that engine?

--------------------
BDRA #83

Eagle347
¯
Member # 6205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eagle347  Ford pictures for Eagle347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They told everybody that you cant switch back to regular oil so that everyone would keep buying synthetic.

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 1 of 1002 deep forest green GTS's made. Bone stock.

1990 Coupe 347 NX E85 Nitrous kit

Posts: 712 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Hyperider
¯
Member # 5936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hyperider  Ford pictures for Hyperider    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmmm, I've always switch back and fort from Synthetic to reqular and doesn't hurt my cars or motorcycles at all. If I'm really running late and don't have time to buy the synth then I just use regular oil but always changed it after 3k miles. just my .02

--------------------
04 Cobra

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlownNOSMustang:
Amsoil for sure. Find a speed shop that carries it, or go to the website they have a list of venders. You'll notice a differance Both in performance and RPM is much more [worship] stable.

damn i run redline cause i get it for free [Razz] somtimes but that other stuff work's the best huh. maybe i'll give it a try.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

yeah, no reason to switch back once you're on the good stuff. Sorry to hear about your grandfather's experience...what kinda oil did he switch back to,and what blew in that engine?
Im nor sure but i think he was runnin penziol or sumthing like that cuz he was tryna sell it so he wanted to be cheap and not put synthetic back in it. He blew a piston rod tho. he was cruisin on 99 and then all you heard was bam knock knock knock. but then again it was a chevy huh... [Big Grin]

[ February 17, 2006, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: 50 Deep ]

--------------------

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Eagle347:
They told everybody that you cant switch back to regular oil so that everyone would keep buying synthetic.

Exactly. So many people are fed gimmicks and believe them.

Who remembers when Synthetic motor oil first came out and they were advertising 20-30k durations w/o an oil change?

I've switched back on my 208k Toyota pickup since a top-end rebuild around 100k. Never any lubrication problems to this date.

[BS flag]

mf150
¯
Member # 6526

quote:
Originally posted by slowback67:
quote:
Originally posted by BlownNOSMustang:

damn i run redline cause i get it for free [Razz] somtimes but that other stuff work's the best huh. maybe i'll give it a try.
you will not be doing anything for your checking account or your engine by switching from Red Line to Amsoil...Red Line's basestocks (polyol Esters) are superior to Amsoil's true synthetics.

--------------------
BDRA #83

JEs50
¯
Member # 5383

ttt

--------------------
1990 GT w/
Everything

stangboi
¯
Member # 6315

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangboi  Ford pictures for stangboi    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i went to the first show at apex and they had a amsoil rep .out there. i think they sell it i use it and have noticed that my car gets better mpg.
STREETFIGHTER50
unregistered

Ford Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I use Mobil-1 & Shell Rotella-T in my cars & bikes. Also, stay away from those orange Fram filters [patriot]
:

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com