Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » black magic fan help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: black magic fan help
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok in finally got my fan working, no the only thing that isnt working is the adjustable temp that the fan turns on and turns off,
right now the fan turns on at 240* and turns off at 200*, the its suppoeded to be adjustable from 180*-240* to turn on and no matter which way i turn the knob it will turn on at 240*, anyone have any ideas?

Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Where is your temp. probe?

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AJBlackGT:

i just realized that i have 2 hooked up, one that actually goes into the rad and one that is on the knob thing that is touching the rad
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by two-gun kid:
quote:

i just realized that i have 2 hooked up, one that actually goes into the rad and one that is on the knob thing that is touching the rad
Where in the radiator? I have heard you want it to be as close as possible to the upper hose.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:
quote:
quote:

Where in the radiator? I have heard you want it to be as close as possible to the upper hose.
its next to the upper radiator hose, i think it might be the switch
BlownNOSMustang
¯
Member # 158

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlownNOSMustang  Ford pictures for BlownNOSMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There is a probe near the control box. I had a black magic once. The cool setup is the flexilite FLX210 dual fan. Good luck with the magic.

--------------------
1993 Hatch,363 CI,670 RWHP

Posts: 238 | From: Cow Town,USA. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the adj. temp thing never worked for my black magic, it would just trip on/off and wouldn't stay on constantly.

I bypassed it and used a switch...until the fan died.

Now I run dual 14" fans, one in front and one behind the radiator, should have gone with that in the first place.

[ February 04, 2006, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My black magic works PERFECTLY! I'll try to take a pic of where I have my probe to show you. Maybe that will help?

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

here are 2 pictures
this pic is when it turns on
 -

this pic is when it turns off
 -

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Eek!]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
My black magic works PERFECTLY! I'll try to take a pic of where I have my probe to show you. Maybe that will help?

this fan is pissing me off,thanks for the help.
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

quote:
Originally posted by blind:
the adj. temp thing never worked for my black magic, it would just trip on/off and wouldn't stay on constantly.

I bypassed it and used a switch...until the fan died.

Now I run dual 14" fans, one in front and one behind the radiator, should have gone with that in the first place.

do you have a picture of your setup?
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -
 -

I have them biased so they basically cover the entire face of the radiator, one pusher one puller. Ignore the shit colored overflow, I blew a headgasket last month and cant get that stain to come out [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

quote:
 -
 -

I have them biased so they basically cover the entire face of the radiator, one pusher one puller. Ignore the shit colored overflow, I blew a headgasket last month and cant get that stain to come out [Roll Eyes]

how do you have them wired? how does it work? freeway-puller/street-pusher?
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

I have them both wired into a single 65amp standard bosche relay that cost me $0.65 at radioshack, and I have a switch hidden on the side of my center console near the radio in the drivers side area.

I just flip it on whenever it gets over 200* and flip it off when it starts to run cold (it will drop down to 160* at idle, and I have a 195* thermostat, lol)

Black magic NEVER worked as well as these, even with it on constantly the temp would creep up near 210* if I beat on the car (like auto-x'ing - it overheated 6 times there on me - probably why I blew the headgasket).

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

the only thing that i dont like about having manual switches for the fan is that i would be scared that i would forget to turn it on.
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
the only thing that i dont like about having manual switches for the fan is that i would be scared that i would forget to turn it on.

then IMO your only reliable option is one of these for $110 -

http://www.dccontrol.com/

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

quote:
quote:

ya when i got my fan last year i was looking into getting a dc controler.
how do you like the manual fan control?
im thinking about just doing a manual control and saving up for the dc control kit and fan.
would it be bad to have the fan on while on the street and turn it off when i hit the freeway?

TrickRacer50
¯
Member # 6345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrickRacer50  Ford pictures for TrickRacer50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On other boards they call Black Magic fans Black Tragic and I now know why.

One of the best fans around, even Chevy guys use them, is the Mark VIII fan. Brand new it only costs $120.00. It will cool your car so fast it is unbelievable. They move a ton of air and are awesome. The Black Tragic fan does not even compare to the size of the Mark VIII fan.

Aftermarket fans do not seem to hld up well. The plastic they are built out of is cheap and the electonics also seem to melt.

My friend, pro mechanic, installed liek 4 fans on several hot rod cars he built for his boss (600+ HP) and they all failed.

Sorry about your problems, just want to let others know my experiences.

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
quote:
quote:

im thinking about just doing a manual control and saving up for the dc control kit and fan.
would it be bad to have the fan on while on the street and turn it off when i hit the freeway?

Thats basically what I do also, I never need the fan if the car is moving unless I'm driving it hard, it will stay at the thermostat temp.

I dont mind the manual fan control at all, but then again this isn't my daily driver. I always keep my eye on the guages.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thats basically what I do also, I never need the fan if the car is moving unless I'm driving it hard, it will stay at the thermostat temp.

I dont mind the manual fan control at all, but then again this isn't my daily driver. I always keep my eye on the guages.

im just going to run a manual switch, im thinking of getting that dc control kit # 3018-M

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com