Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How do you know if you have a blown head gasket?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you know if you have a blown head gasket?
SIKLEEN/GT
¯
Member # 2695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIKLEEN/GT  Ford pictures for SIKLEEN/GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This may be a stupid question but... how do you know if you have a blown head gasket or a craked head? I have a piece of shit cadillac that is overheating like crazy and everybody(non-mechanics) keeps telling me I either have a blown head gasket or a cracked head. How do I find out with out having to call a mechanic? The car overheats real quick so I have no way of getting it to a shop and I'm not paying to get this piece of shit towed.
Posts: 299 | From: Elk Grove, CA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what engine?? 4100?

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is there coolant in the oil? do a compression test/leak down test.
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
SIKLEEN/GT
¯
Member # 2695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIKLEEN/GT  Ford pictures for SIKLEEN/GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The the engin is the non-northstar 4.9... its in a 92 STS.

I havnt really check the oil... what should I be looking for? color? would i have to drain the oil or can i check it through the dip stick?

Sorry for the stupid questions guys...

BlownNOSMustang
¯
Member # 158

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlownNOSMustang  Ford pictures for BlownNOSMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is the coolant resivoir full of oil and coolant? is there a loss of power and over heating? Is there any unusual noises? is ant thing leaking on the ground,,,Such as oil and coolant or both.

--------------------
1993 Hatch,363 CI,670 RWHP

Posts: 238 | From: Cow Town,USA. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
BlownNOSMustang
¯
Member # 158

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlownNOSMustang  Ford pictures for BlownNOSMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Remove engine thermostat in cooling system.

--------------------
1993 Hatch,363 CI,670 RWHP

Posts: 238 | From: Cow Town,USA. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
SIKLEEN/GT
¯
Member # 2695

quote:
Originally posted by BlownNOSMustang:
Is the coolant resivoir full of oil and coolant? is there a loss of power and over heating? Is there any unusual noises? is ant thing leaking on the ground,,,Such as oil and coolant or both.

The resivoir looks normal... just coolant... no loss of power felt whatsoever, it actually has some ballz when you gun it. it does do a loud screech sound when you eccelarate hard. and it is spraying coolant from the water pump... thats what I thought was wrong with it but people keep telling "no its a cracked head or blown head gasket, you have white smoke comming our your pipes"
SIKLEEN/GT
¯
Member # 2695

quote:
Originally posted by BlownNOSMustang:
Remove engine thermostat in cooling system.

the thermostat was changed... and so was the radiator
CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
probably blew a sleeve O-ring

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

SIKLEEN/GT
¯
Member # 2695

quote:
Originally posted by CDT:

Where is this O-ring and is it dificult to fix? also is there a way to find out if it is this?
Copello
¯
Member # 1534

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Copello  Ford pictures for Copello    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so if its puking coolant from the water pump why all the questions? if you drove it overheating then yes there is a 90% chance you blew the head gasket as well, those engines suck ass, fix it and get rid of that thing.

--------------------
91 GT
73 RS Camaro

Posts: 1309 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
SIKLEEN/GT
¯
Member # 2695

quote:
Originally posted by 5.0#4 87 T-Top GT:
so if its puking coolant from the water pump why all the questions? if you drove it overheating then yes there is a 90% chance you blew the head gasket as well, those engines suck ass, fix it and get rid of that thing.

The questions are because i dont know what is worong with the car. theres a 90% chance for anything... what Im asking is is how to comfirm that it is a head gasket... I really dont care what it is. Why would I fix it if it was a head gasket? There is no point in investing money into it if it is a head gasket for a fucked up car thats probably not even worth $2000. If I can comfirm its a head gasket im just gonna get rid of it... if its not, then ill worry bout finding out what it is so i can sell it for a bit more...

[ February 04, 2006, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: SIKLEEN/GT ]

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

quote:
Originally posted by SIKLEEN/GT:
quote:
Originally posted by CDT:

Where is this O-ring and is it dificult to fix? also is there a way to find out if it is this?
cant be fixed without taking the engine apart. put water in it, and see if the oil level gets higher and higher.

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning

rocjunkie
¯
Member # 5826

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rocjunkie  Ford pictures for rocjunkie  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you blow the head gasket between two cylinders you may not get water in the oil or the other way around however compression in those two cylinders will be very poor.

--------------------
www.reallysickrigs.com

TrickRacer50
¯
Member # 6345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrickRacer50  Ford pictures for TrickRacer50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You check the oil by pulling out the dipstick to see if the oil carmel color. If you have coolant in the oil that means a head(s) is/are blown. If you put coolant in the motor and it blows major white smoke (like you are James Bond) then you have coolant leaking in the cylinders and have blown a head(s).

If all of that checks out you can take the car to a gas station and they seems if exhaust is coming out of the radiator. (very cheap or free service).

If none of the above shows a head gasket then I would fix the WP and drive the car. If you lose water (alot) then I would run a compression check or a leak down test. On a compression test If your cylinder pressure is like 115 on most cylinders and then you find 2 next to each other that are like 50-60 psi different then that is where the head blew.

BEst of luck

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 3 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey man they also sell a head gasket repair fluid at like autozone and kragen now. appearently you just pour it in your coolant and it will seal the broken part of the gasket if it reaches it. Im not sure how good it works but it may be a possible cheap temporary fix for your problem

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
some of the caddy motors (like the 4100) have press in sleeves that seal off the water with o rings, if you blow one of those o rings then your screwed. i have actually pushed one of the sleeves out of a 4100 by hand on accident thats how shitty these are. do some tests like mentioned above and good friggin luck. [patriot]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com