Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » I need some help..... 4lug y2k hitting a arms

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: I need some help..... 4lug y2k hitting a arms
89GTSanMateo
¯
Member # 5785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89GTSanMateo  Ford pictures for 89GTSanMateo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I justr bought a set of 4 lug y2K 17 inch cobras for my 89 saleen... When I turn the wheel hard it seems like its hotting the a arm... its a metal to metal sound.. what can I do to fix it.. Will tubular a arms fix it?
svt3773
¯
Member # 4759

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svt3773  Ford pictures for svt3773    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
where did you get the y2ks from? go to pepboys and get a pair of 1/4 spacers that sould help it from rubing there only $6.99 a pair.

--------------------
1989 Ford Ranger

89GTSanMateo
¯
Member # 5785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89GTSanMateo  Ford pictures for 89GTSanMateo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
www.customwheelsmarket.com is where I got them.. They rub real bad when I turn the wheel hard.. Will the spacers make the rim stick out... I want it to stay flush...
svt3773
¯
Member # 4759

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svt3773  Ford pictures for svt3773    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
should still sit flush with no rubing.

--------------------
1989 Ford Ranger

89GTSanMateo
¯
Member # 5785

well for 6 bucks I'll give it a try... Do you think thats a big enough spacer... The rims are hitting the a arms pretty hard...
svt3773
¯
Member # 4759

worked for me had some 17x9 cobras and my pony was really dropped

--------------------
1989 Ford Ranger

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go to ford dealer and buy some steering rack limiters, it limits how far you can turn the wheels at full lock.

much better than wheel spacers IMO

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah the tire shop i went to recommended the steerin rack limiters over the spacers.. sure you'll lose some turning radius but you wont be hitting the a-arms anymore.. pm me if you need some.. i have a whole pack direct from Ford.. [patriot]

--------------------
AP1 S2000

Posts: 2926 | From: Bay Area 510 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you know, i hear that just not turning the wheel all the way is free with free installation...
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by kingmoochr:
you know, i hear that just not turning the wheel all the way is free with free installation...

[worship] best advise all day

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
svt3773
¯
Member # 4759

quote:
Originally posted by losbadgts:
quote:
Originally posted by kingmoochr:

[worship] best advise all day
cant argue with that either it's free [Big Grin]

--------------------
1989 Ford Ranger

89GTSanMateo
¯
Member # 5785

If it wasnt a big deal I wouldnt be asking what to do... Its not even a daily driver... I barely turn it and it hits...I dont like any of cars ghetto rigged... thanks for the smart ass comments
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no problem [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
89GTSanMateo
¯
Member # 5785

I put a 1'4 inch spacer and its still hitting the a arms.. Im going to try the steering limiter piece hopefully that works
kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89GTSanMateo:
When I turn the wheel hard

quote:
I barely turn it and it hits

so which is it?
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:
go to ford dealer and buy some steering rack limiters, it limits how far you can turn the wheels at full lock.

much better than wheel spacers IMO

[patriot]
Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
89GTSanMateo
¯
Member # 5785

One side it hits more than the other.. dont be that guy kingmooch
89GTSanMateo
¯
Member # 5785

One more thing I have the saleen california edition mustang... The company that sold the rims said they always fit and were made strictly for fox bodies.. Do you think it being a Cal. edition the specs are different on my suspension??
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
One more thing I have the saleen california edition mustang... The company that sold the rims said they always fit and were made strictly for fox bodies.. Do you think it being a Cal. edition the specs are different on my suspension??

no.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whats the back spacing on the rims?

--------------------
=(

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

cali edition 5.0s just have saleen race craft spings, struts, shocks, and bigger sway bars and some cool little stickers [patriot]
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Mrk50LX
¯
Member # 5147

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mrk50LX  Ford pictures for Mrk50LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The Ford part number is: N804842-S They come in packs of four and could be purchased for around $10.
Here's the web site I got my information from http://www.mustangmotorsport.com/steeringlimiters.html
Call around to different ford dealers to get the best price. I called Fremont Ford and they wanted $4.00 each spacer, I then called PaloAlto Ford (was working over there at the time)they wanted $2.50 each solid 4 in a bag. [burnout]

--------------------
92 LX conv W/M&M,and Maier Racing Suspension components. MAC Headers and 2.5in MAC exhaust.70mm MAF 65mm Throttle body

Posts: 34 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
picuplouie
¯
Member # 5948

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for picuplouie  Ford pictures for picuplouie    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
89GTSanMateo, Sorry to hear about the rims rubbing. Hope everything works out soon. That way we can head on out for a cruise with our new rims! Thanks again by the way.
Posts: 68 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
89GTSanMateo
¯
Member # 5785

I tried the 1/4 spacer and didnt work... I took the spacers out and notched a piece of the a arm where it was hitting and now everything works fine.. Thanks for your help everyone...
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I tried the 1/4 spacer and didnt work... I took the spacers out and notched a piece of the a arm where it was hitting and now everything works fine.. Thanks for your help everyone...

did you try the rack limiters?
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com