Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Check engine- code reader won't spit out codes

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Check engine- code reader won't spit out codes
50.stang
¯
Member # 4009

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50.stang  Ford pictures for 50.stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My check engine light came on after installing a new set of O2's on an 88 and it won't go off. When I hook my code reader up to the port, when its put to test mode, the light will just go dim and it wont spit out the codes. Has anyone ever ran into this problem and what was the fix.

PS even when I put the old o2's back on the light would not go off.

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you make sure to hook up both connectors?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
50.stang
¯
Member # 4009

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50.stang  Ford pictures for 50.stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea I did,

Ive ran hundreds of these tests and I never ran into this

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, unfortunately it sounds like the PCM may be the problem. I have the exact same prob with my 01...and it's because of the PCM.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

50.stang
¯
Member # 4009

thats not good, I was hoping that it wouldn't be the problem
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50.stang:
thats not good, I was hoping that it wouldn't be the problem

better than not knowing the problem [patriot]

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Before you throw another PCM in...check your ENTIRE harness and make sure you don't have any breaks, shorts, bare wires, etc. There is a reason why it is going out. [Smile]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

50.stang
¯
Member # 4009

Ill do that, I dod change the O2 harness before this happened also, maybe that had something to do with it. But I did change it back and it didnt help.
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
My check engine light came on after installing a new set of O2's on an 88 and it won't go off. When I hook my code reader up to the port, when its put to test mode, the light will just go dim and it wont spit out the codes. Has anyone ever ran into this problem and what was the fix.

PS even when I put the old o2's back on the light would not go off.

i had this problem turned out after spending alot of money on trying to fix the problem that my computer had failed. Atleast i got a rid of a lot of wiring problems [Eek!]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

50.stang
¯
Member # 4009

could I use an auto computer with a 5 speed and what are the effects?
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
could I use an auto computer with a 5 speed and what are the effects?

i don't think there would be a problem.

[ January 31, 2006, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Cobra5.0Jeep ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This might sound dumb but how old is the battery in your scanner?
50.stang
¯
Member # 4009

I thought about the same thing, I changed the battery and the same result. I will use my friends scanner before I swap PCMs, just to see if its a scanner problem.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com