Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 96 cobra: JLT, C&L, or BBK (CAI)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 96 cobra: JLT, C&L, or BBK (CAI)
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Heres another question for you cobra owners. I have this 96 cobra and am planning to dump some money into the motor. one of the delimmas im having is which (CAI) kit to go with. Ive heard that the JLT cit was the top performer and that the ABS plastic kept the intake charge cool. But i also noticed that the kit is big and may rub my shock tower brace. I've read up on the C&L kit and heard it produced power as well but also had a question about fitment issues. Ive seen the BBK kit on other cobras and seen it clear the brace though. So my main question is does anyone know which kit will or wont clear the strut tower brace and has anyone had good results from these kits

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
BLK02GT
¯
Member # 5653

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK02GT  Ford pictures for BLK02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get the JLT

--------------------
2019 Ford Expedition Limited
2002 Ford Mustang GT

Originally Member #4241

Posts: 1247 | From: Tracy, ca | Registered: May 2005  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i never used any of the ones you mentioned, but i have a UPR unit. it barely fits under the STB, actually the STB rests on the UPR pipe. i very happy with it though, good bang for the buck mod on theses cobras.

-

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your interested I have the full JLT tru cold air kit... only had it on my car for a couple months. complete $100 bucks.... paid 250.00, oh yeah its painted black.

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

BLK02GT
¯
Member # 5653

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK02GT  Ford pictures for BLK02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stangin':
i never used any of the ones you mentioned, but i have a UPR unit. it barely fits under the STB, actually the STB rests on the UPR pipe. i very happy with it though, good bang for the buck mod on theses cobras.

-

[Eek!] you could eat off that engine!

--------------------
2019 Ford Expedition Limited
2002 Ford Mustang GT

Originally Member #4241

Posts: 1247 | From: Tracy, ca | Registered: May 2005  |  :
cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The JLT won't clear the strut tower brace and besides that, it looks like some thing that was put together in someone's back yard with hardware store sewer drain pipe. The K&N FIPK, BBK and C&L will clear the strut tower brace.

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been leaning more towards the C&L kit since it fits and have been hearing good reviews about it. I have a question about the kit though. the kit i want to order comes with a new 80mm mass air unit. but the stock cobra unit is already 80mm. will that new mass air meter really help any? or should i try to get a larger one from granitelli motorsports or pro-M?

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
eljefe
¯
Member # 1753

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eljefe  Ford pictures for eljefe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have the jlt short ram intake and it doesnt clear the strut bar but i didnt care. i havent felt any difference while cornering. but if you must have the strut bar get the c&l kit, the k&n kit doesnt replace the intake tube from the maf to the thottle body.

btw i picked up a tenth and 1 mph from the jlt, would have been more but traction is still an issue

Posts: 737 | From: holiday in rancho cambodia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com