Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Test only?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Test only?
Jackpine 5.0
¯
Member # 6349

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackpine 5.0  Ford pictures for Jackpine 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have an 87 LX and just got my registration, smog time. Does anybody really know why you get test only stations? Is it all random or do they target certain cars?

--------------------
Jackpine Crew
94 Toyota - Straight Axled on 37's
87 LX - goin' for 12's on stock motor (airbox to oil pan)

Posts: 55 | From: Shingle Springs, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jackpine 5.0:
I have an 87 LX and just got my registration, smog time. Does anybody really know why you get test only stations? Is it all random or do they target certain cars?

supposely its random but lately lots of 5.0's have been getting test only,
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Jackpine 5.0
¯
Member # 6349

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackpine 5.0  Ford pictures for Jackpine 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been told it's random, but i've also heard that they target cars most likely to be modified

--------------------
Jackpine Crew
94 Toyota - Straight Axled on 37's
87 LX - goin' for 12's on stock motor (airbox to oil pan)

Posts: 55 | From: Shingle Springs, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
89saleen
¯
Member # 3083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89saleen  Ford pictures for 89saleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It targets cars that have been registered for more than 10 years. They want you to go to a test only station because test only do not make ANY repairs. Now a regular smog station will fail you, then magically be able to fix the problem on the next time around.. wich evades your real issue why you didnt pass smog. Test only will fail you, give you a printout why it failed, and then they want you to give this sheet to a repair shop and have them address your real problem, then you go back to the test only station hoping your jerko mechanic zeroed in on your problem..
Its all a big scam to generate money in the repair businesses and another way for California to re-gain their lost revinue from registration fees that Arnold repealed for us.
So yup.- Smog blows and is a total California scam. And thats it.

--------------------
Its over Johnny-

89saleen
¯
Member # 3083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89saleen  Ford pictures for 89saleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have one more thing about test only-
I took my car to a test only statin and it failed. Totally stock; no carb # crap or anything- Screw em. I went on down the road to another test only station and it passed with flying colors...

Some test only shop owners are crooked and get you to ride their merry-go-round and pay every time you test..
Ive found the Asian test shops to be a sure fail the first time....
sorry for the profiling but its true- those cheap bastards..

--------------------
Its over Johnny-

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Great post 89saleen I have seen people go thru the same exact situation. [patriot]

I would just replace "asian" with "shady" shops. Smog is really just about lining the states pockets and everyone who deals in giving those certificates out. From the DMV to CARB to shady smog shops, they all win and the car owners lose both time and money from the hassle we have to deal with every 2 years.

Michael C
Member # 6067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael C  Ford pictures for Michael C    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Fella's!

It appears that the test only smog shop issue is kind of twisted! I was recently told by a gentleman who is in the know that the test only stations are expected by CARB to fail at least 10% of all vehicles tested.

If they do not do so the state will investigate them with out their knowledge ( send in a rigged vehicle). If the shop doesn't discover the equipment defect and fail the vehicle,
then the state will fine the shop, and put it on a watch list!

Also certain types of cars are placed on a gross polluter watch list!

I own a 1993 5.0 LX Thunderbird! Recently When I went to have a smog test done on it. I discovered that this model was on the above mentioned list!
Even though mine has never failed a smog test
( I bought it new in 93) and it past the latest test with flying colors, it is still on this list!
The information in question was printed right on my smog sheet!

When I asked the smog tech about this matter. He said he didn't know why it was on this list, but felt that it could possibly be a vehicle age issue.

BIG BROTHER ( or SISTER) IS WATCHING! SO BEWARE!

Michael C [Cool]

Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys I love a good conspiracy too but lets get real here.

The state makes $8.25 for a smog certificate and that is only issued if the car PASSES. The state makes no money off of a failing car.

There are two common ways to get sent to a Test Only shop, first is that 2% of the vehicle population is sent at random to Test Only's. Second and most commonly vehicles get tagged as High Emitter Profile (HEP). Meaning that certain kinds of vehicles(like say 79-95 Mustangs with over 80k or 90-98 Toyota Corollas with over 120k), according to the states statistics, are more likely to fail a smog than others.

As for crooked shops I would agree that there are some techs out there that may not know as much as others and there are frauds as well. Some older/high mileage vehicles need to be heated up a bit more than newer ones. It is a fine line a tech must walk between warming up a car(wich has to be done) and superheating the cat(which is illegal). However there is nothing stopping an owner from driving the snot out of the car before arriving and leaving the car running before the starting the test.

And while the state does keep an eye on the failure rate of each station, its a fairly broad eye. If you are doing it right you will more than likely fall right into the states stastistics but if your screwing people over or are giving everyone a free pass you will stick out and they will eventually want to know why.

Finally, most dont know this but if the federal government had its way we would have had state run smog shops. The test only idea was a comprimise between California and the Feds, in an effort to make the program more unbiased.

Sorry about the soapbox but there are so many crazy ideas people have about the smog program, I just like to try and be a voice of reason

[ January 28, 2006, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Jimbo ]

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com