Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Pullies squeaking on cold start up?? wtf

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Pullies squeaking on cold start up?? wtf
9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It started about a month ago.... occasionally on really cold start up's it would start squeaking. Now it is starting to do it all the time?? It's really pissing me off because it sounds like shit. It's coming from the bottom pullie i believe. What is causing this? belt, pullie? what can i do to stop it? thanks

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

84GT5.0
¯
Member # 5227

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84GT5.0  Ford pictures for 84GT5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mine was doing that, i sprayed the pulleys with some spray lube, and replaced the belt, now its cool. they also sell belt dressing that may work too!!

--------------------
RIP Russell W. Krill

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you change either your belt or any of the pullies in the last month or so?

To isolate the problem, remove the belt and spin each pullie one at a time to see which one is making the noise. If none of them make noise, then it's likely a belt problem - either the belt isn't lined up correctly or has gotten stretched out somehow.

Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Original pullies, not sure about the belt? kinda sounds like the bottom pullie, because when I spray wd-40 on the pullie it stops, but it will do it again if I let the car sit for a while.

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

BlownNOSMustang
¯
Member # 158

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlownNOSMustang  Ford pictures for BlownNOSMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Replace the belt. Get an OEM Ford Belt.

--------------------
1993 Hatch,363 CI,670 RWHP

Posts: 238 | From: Cow Town,USA. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you spray WD 40 or water directly onto an isolated part of the belt, then it is the belt. Get an OEM belt.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the "bottom pulley" is what exactly? The crank pulley?

if so the crank doesn't freespin so your belt is just slipping over that pulley.

if it was one of the idler pulleys then you'd have to replace that.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Yeah, the crank pulley. It is spinning but making an annoying noise. The belt is what would do that? Is it difficult to replace the belt?

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A belt noise can make the sound seem like its comming from certain parts. It takes a 3/8" ratchet (or maybe a 13mm socket) to relieve the tension on the belt by pulling on the belt tensioner. Once youve got the belt off move the tensioner back and forth, if it binds at all then replace it. A binding tensioner will cause belt noise and the belt to fail. Also try moving the idler, alternator, water pump, power steering pump, and A/C pulleys to see if there loose and or making noise. You can even start the engine at this point and see if the noise is still there. If it is, then you've got a bearing issue. Taking the belt off requires minimum skill, just draw a diagram of how the belt goes on if the underhood sticker is gone to save you 20 min.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com