Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Test only smog

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Test only smog
89Rodknocker
CAFords OG
Member # 2951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Rodknocker  Ford pictures for 89Rodknocker    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just got hit with a test only. Does anybody know if you need to have all 4 cats or will two work. Can i leave on my pullies and cai. Any help needed. Or does anybody know of a good test only shop that knows what carb performance so i don't have to take everything off.

--------------------
89 lx (stolen and stripped)
94 gt runner (sold)
89 lx Stock(sold)
86 gt T-trim (sold)
73 Camaro BBC
01 5.0 Explorer limited Borlas (sold)

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got mine done in oakland with a cai and pullies headers and passed with my 4 cats. Why are most mustangs being sent to test only they got me with that shit too. [Confused]

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
triple black hatch
CAFords OG
Member # 5420

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple black hatch  Ford pictures for triple black hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i did mine today at a test only. on one shop i was rejected for haveing two cats then i went to a diferent shop and the guy didnt say anything about the two cats and it passed.
Posts: 1409 | From: (650)-(209) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50-charge:
i did mine today at a test only. on one shop i was rejected for haveing two cats then i went to a diferent shop and the guy didnt say anything about the two cats and it passed.

They should all be like that [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
1990Silver5.0
¯
Member # 6210

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990Silver5.0  Ford pictures for 1990Silver5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Same here. I had to go to a test only station and it passed

--------------------
1995 Impala SS
1992 GT Convert. 5.0 auto -sold-
1990 Lx Convert. 5.0(parted)
1992 Lx Hatchback 5.0-sold-:)
1990 5.0 Notchback -SOLD-:(

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mine passed with H/C/I, Bassani high flow cats, and ALL the bolt ons. It was test only as well.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

BlownNOSMustang
¯
Member # 158

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlownNOSMustang  Ford pictures for BlownNOSMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It really depends on the dude doing the smog. I have all sorts of non CARB stuff. It passed fine. I have a BBK pipe. No CARB EO #.

Good Luck.

--------------------
1993 Hatch,363 CI,670 RWHP

Posts: 238 | From: Cow Town,USA. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
From my experience, as long as all the smog equipment is hooked up and working, any car should pass...

but for those who just hope they get lucky, [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I tried a new tactic last month with my test-only smog. I overloaded him with a whole file folder of CARB #s, even for parts that I didn't have. The look on his face told me there was no way he was going to take the time to verify each one so he passed me after just checking everything was hooked up correctly and the tailpipe test was clean. Although, it took me two attempts to find a lazy smog tech.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
TrickRacer50
¯
Member # 6345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrickRacer50  Ford pictures for TrickRacer50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They use test only for older cars, like ours.

It is no big deal. It just means that the tech cannot make any modifications to your car to help it pass. It either passes or doesn't. If it doesn't then you have to make repairs somewhere else and bring the car to another test only station again. If you are nervous get the car tested first, incase you will fail.

I passed stroked with H/C/I. They jumped all over my s***t at first, but all of my parts had carb numbers. They were really nervous. They quickly noticed my EGR was hooked up, os that eased their worries that my car was totally illegal. I had my stock H-pipe with four cats and she passed super clean.

hockeyguy713
¯
Member # 5354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hockeyguy713  Ford pictures for hockeyguy713    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
like BlownNOS said it really just depends on the guy you go to, some techs are lazy and just want to get you in and out of there. try to find a place like that and you'll have a way easier time gettin passed.

--------------------
91 GT

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes really all depends on the smog tech. some are really thorough about checking all carb numbers while other techs only check the obvious smog stuff.
that said, the car i have now when owned by my friend was smogged with a kb blower , 2 cat xpipe and some other stuff w/out any hassles.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

89Rodknocker
CAFords OG
Member # 2951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Rodknocker  Ford pictures for 89Rodknocker    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for all the help i'll try with the 2 cats. Any body know of a lazy tech in fremont. [Big Grin]

--------------------
89 lx (stolen and stripped)
94 gt runner (sold)
89 lx Stock(sold)
86 gt T-trim (sold)
73 Camaro BBC
01 5.0 Explorer limited Borlas (sold)

Blue88lx
¯
Member # 5919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue88lx  Ford pictures for Blue88lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89Rodknocker:
Thanks for all the help i'll try with the 2 cats. Any body know of a lazy tech in fremont. [Big Grin]

Off 880 take the Auto mall Exit west. The first light is Christy, turn right. Go one block to Albrae and turn right. The first drive way(about 60 feet) turn right. It's a smog only station and the guy(Iraqis) seems "lazy", at lease when they did my car. [Wink]
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just about know the guy that smogs my cars (speaks ZERO english). I used to take our crappy honda there for all its oil changes, smogs and some work that I was to lazy to do...after a while they get to know you a little by face. I don't get hassled with carb numbers but I'm sure they would fail me if items were not hooked up properly. From my understanding their machine tells them how many cats should be on the car when they punch in year and make.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com